Questions from a near-future buyer

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vger105

Hello everyone!
My oldest son is getting his license so I'm giving him my car. I'll need something to drive locally and I think I'm going to get an i3; I love it!
I have a few questions:
Do the 2017s have a bigger capacity battery, thus more range?
Does every i3 come with a backup camera?
I love the light wood on the dash. Is that available on all trim levels?
How can I get the larger screen on the center monitor?
Is a sunroof a stand alone option?
Thank you so much for any replies.

The bigger 94Ah battery is in the 2017. Backup camera comes with the parking package, the wood isn't in the Deka package, the larger screen is in the tech/driver assist package, and I think the sunroof is standalone. I got my '17 used and compromised on the Deka interior to get the sunroof (and in case I ever go vegan -- no leather anywhere in the Deka package). I'm not sure if I'd make the same trade a second time. The sunroof is really only fun in the most clement of weather at around town speeds, but when it's fun, it's fun.

And you'll want to think about the upgraded Harman-Kardon stereo package, too.

You'll get used to looking at pictures in the used listings to confirm the presence of packages and options that don't always get listed completely and correctly.

Don't quote me, but I think the '17s came in both flavors, as I recall seeing listings for both 94ah and 60ah models for 2017.

I've yet to come across a 2017 (in the USA) with anything other than a 94Ah battery.

There are A TON of listings on Car Gurus that are categorized as 60Ah 2017 models, but every single one I've VIN checked comes back as 94Ah -- including the one I eventually bought.

As to the OP's questions that Rob's through response didn't specifically cover, yes, range increases to about 110-130 with the bigger battery, the eucalyptus trim can be purchased and installed somewhat easily in any i3 if it suits you, and just a point of clarification that the backup camera became a standard (mandated) feature of the US i3 beginning with the 2018 model year.

eNate said:
I've yet to come across a 2017 (in the USA) with anything other than a 94Ah battery.

There are A TON of listings on Car Gurus that are categorized as 60Ah 2017 models, but every single one I've VIN checked comes back as 94Ah -- including the one I eventually bought.

As to the OP's questions that Rob's through response didn't specifically cover, yes, range increases to about 110-130 with the bigger battery, the eucalyptus trim can be purchased and installed somewhat easily in any i3 if it suits you, and just a point of clarification that the backup camera became a standard (mandated) feature of the US i3 beginning with the 2018 model year.

Yeah, it was damn cargurus and their erroneous listings. Hehe, I never went as far as VIN checks. Thanks for the correction.

electronchaser said:
eNate said:

Yeah, it was damn cargurus... Thanks for the correction.

Oh, not necessarily a correction -- it seems to be a very common sentiment that the 2017 came in both battery varieties. Maybe that's why the 2017 60Ah category even exists on Car Gurus? I'm not sure. I just know that I've never come across one, and I checked dozens if not hundreds.

What gets me is how this has carried on for so long. I'm sure it's steered many interested buyers towards other candidates. How can the dealers be oblivious to this? Especially BMW dealers. They've got them listed correctly on their websites and on Auto Trader and Cars.com.

eNate said:
it seems to be a very common sentiment that the 2017 came in both battery varieties.
It's not just a common sentiment that a 60 Ah i3 was available in the U.S. as a 2017 model. BMW filed fuel economy ratings with the E.P.A. for a 2017 60 Ah i3. However, I don't recall ever reading about anyone driving a 2017 60 Ah i3. Maybe they were a fleet-only vehicle or used by BMW's now-defunct ReachNow car-sharing service.

Greetings from a newbie, looking to buy an i3 and wonder if i can get a 2018 and swap out for a larger battery ie the 120? and if so costs. Thanks

Back