Nissan level 2 charger

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vger105

A number of years ago we had a Nissan Leaf, for which we had a Nissan level 2 charger installed in our garage. After a couple of years we sold the Leaf but the charger remained in the garage.
We just bought a 2017 i3 BEV. Can the Nissan charger be used with the i3,?

Thanks for your reply. I figured the charger would physically fit but its not simply plugged in to a 240v outlet. The Nissan unit, to which the charging cord is attached, is hardwired and is attached to a wall. I thought maybe the Nissan unit might contain Nissan-specific circuitry.

I wouldn't call the J1772 plug "generic," but rather "ubiquitous." It's everywhere, but it is a product of the J1772 standard. That means anything built using that interface should comply with the standard that describes it. Like USB or 120 volt receptacles or EMV chips on credit cards. The intent is you won't blow anything up, burn anything down, or electrocute yourself if the two standards-compliant parts are connected together, even though they're from different manufacturers from different continents.

I was watching a YouTube video about charging the i3 with a level 2 charger. The part they plugged into the car wasn't completely circular; it was almost circular with a flat section, not unlike a flat bottomed steering wheel. My Nissan charger is completely circular.
Will this be a problem?

No, there's shouldn't be any difference, they're both using the J1772 standard. There's no "almost" -- either it fits, or it's going to be entirely different.

Don't confuse connector type numbers with charging levels. The Type 2 (Mennekes connector) is supposedly used in Europe, and has a flat spot on the top edge. The Type 1 (Yazaki) J1772 connector is round.

Assuming that you are in North America with a local-market i3, it should be the round J1772 connector and work fine with the old Nissan EVSE.....

Thanks for the reassurance eveyone.
I was very concerned but apparently everything's fine.
I can exhale

vger105 said:
I was watching a YouTube video about charging the i3 with a level 2 charger. The part they plugged into the car wasn't completely circular; it was almost circular with a flat section, not unlike a flat bottomed steering wheel.

Maybe what you saw was a European IEC Type 2 connector. In the photo below, the North American J1772 plug is on the left, the Tesla North American plug is in the center, and the European IEC Type 2 plug is on the right:

2560px-Tesla-type-1-inlet-tesla02-outlet-iec-type-2-outlet-background-blur.jpg

Back