Blurred vision

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobV

There is seems to be problem with the front windscreen that results in my vision being slightly blurred when driving.

I have very good long sight and I have never had any difficulty in any car before or since, so I know it is not me, but driving the 2019 i3 in daylight blurs my vision slightly and gives me a headache. In practice I cannot drive the car for more than 10 minutes without feeling a bit dizzy.
My wife also sees the blurring but her eyesight is not as good as mine and it does not cause her any problem..

I have cleaned the windscreen inside and out thoroughly and it did not make any difference to the blurring of my vision. Having examined the windscreen carefully, it appears that the problem is not the windscreen itself, but reflection from the panel above the dashboard. Such panels are normally a solid dark colour. On our i3, this panel is a grey fleck colour. And when the car is moving, the reflection from the grey fleck is not still and I think that is what I am seeing - a slightly vibrating reflection. A solid colour on this panel, which is normal on all other cars I have seen, would not cause a problem.
There is no blurring with night driving which seems to confirm that the problem is reflection

Has anyone else got this grey fleck panel above the dash and a reflection on the windscreen in daylight driving that causes vision to be less than clear?

Reflections off of the white leather (Giga trim) and grayish kenaf wash out my dashcam video badly during the day! I have been tempted to throw some flat black felt or carpet over the dash, but it hasn't driven me crazy yet...just annoying.....

Mine bothered my eyes when I first bought it (2nd owner). Turned out the car had been tinted all around, including the windshield by the first owner. Removing the tint from the inside of the windshield fixed my issue. Regardless of manufacturers claims, even the high-end ceramic/carbon tint film (which is what mine had) is very slightly blurred, not clear - was always like looking through glass coated with oil. with objects/ signs looking just slightly out of focus, not sharp and clear.

RobV said:
Has anyone else got this grey fleck panel above the dash and a reflection on the windscreen in daylight driving that causes vision to be less than clear?
I am bothered by the kenaf reflection in the windshield especially when the kenaf is illuminated by the sun. For me, it's not a blurry vision problem but a distraction that can make seeing what's in front of the car more difficult.

I've considered spray painting the kenaf surface black. However, it hasn't bothered me enough in over 5 years of driving it to try to do something about it.

I was searching the web to find out wtf that was, thinking it couldn't refer to a tropical hibiscus and had to be some trademark. But no, it is and it does.

Back