Driving UK to Portugal Heelp!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex1969scott

Hiya, Via Calais I plan to drive from UK to Aljezur, Portugal in my 60Ah REX i3 (realistic range about 120 miles on motorway). I am just a little wary of how good/abundant the type 2 chargers are heading south through France, Spain and then Portugal on this 1000+mile/22h journey. Any tips on what to expect? I have found Electromaps which locates chargers on the continent - any ideas on their accuracy?
Also I have never run my i3 down below the 2 mile battery charge limit very often - if I do so while on motorway (I can top up charge with unleaded fuel from the REX) will my speed slow to a crawl or will I be ok??
Any help welcome :)
Alex Scott

You should get the plugshare app if you do not already have it. Reading the comments people leave for various stations may help a lot. I would try to keep the state of charge no lower than 20-30% with the Rex just in case a station you are relying on does not work or is in use... so you have a buffer if you have to drive faster than the Rex can keep up the state of charge. Taking a long trip myself in a week with the same set up... a 2015 Rex. 1600 miles round trip.

Back