Does a 2017 use a heat pump?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vger105

I recently acquired a 2017 BEV, 9,500 miles, and my wife and I absolutely love it. Does this car use a heat pump?

If it was was originally sold in the US, then it almost for sure is equipped with a heat pump, like all other US i3 BEVs.

Plug your VIN into mdecoder.com to see the equipment list for your car. You'll see the heat pump listed.

Folks,

I just checked and my 2019 I3 BEV does NOT have a HEAT PUMP listed. (checked on the decoder.com) .

I do have heated seats, driver/pass side (which of course are not needed/nor used in Honolulu). When I ordered the I3 last June, I honestly cannot remember if a HEAT PUMP was an available option.

However, a HEAT PUMP currently IS listed as an OPTION for the 2020 I3 BEV on the USA BMW web site as of yesterday.

aloha,
OLDBMWGUY

In 2017 it was standard on the BEV, at least on the US.

I know it become an option recently, perhaps with the introduction of the 120Ah battery?

OLDBMWGUY said:
I do have heated seats, driver/pass side (which of course are not needed/nor used in Honolulu). When I ordered the I3 last June, I honestly cannot remember if a HEAT PUMP was an available option.
I'm pretty certain that the heat pump became an option (only ~$125) beginning on 2019 U.S. BEV's whereas it was standard on pre-2019 U.S. BEV's. If I were buying a new BEV in Honolulu, I probably wouldn't spend even $125 on the heat pump option because it would almost never be needed and increases complexity and reduces reliability a tiny bit. In those fairly rare Honolulu conditions in which window fogging might occur, the heat pump rather than the electrical resistance element would warm the air that had been cooled to condense its moisture to maintain the climate control set-point temperature. Due to very clever plumbing, with the heat pump option, the A/C compressor can both cool and heat cabin air simultaneously.

Back