BMW Connected- reliability?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vger105

This morning BMW Connected on my phone indicated 145 miles of range. The display in my car indicated 123 miles. This has been going on for several mornings now. Also, the actual miles, on my phone seems to lag the actual miles, as indicated on the display in my car.
Is this a common problem with BMW Connected?

ConnectedDrive data isn't necessarily instantaneous, and may not have been updated since the last event that triggered an update from the car to the BMW server. In your case, the last update was probably when the car shut down last and reflected the predicted range at that time under those conditions. Locking and unlocking remotely should trigger an update, so I think you would get a more up-to-date range guesstimate if you locked and unlocked your car -- assuming it's safe and practical to do that.

vger105 said:
This morning BMW Connected on my phone indicated 145 miles of range. The display in my car indicated 123 miles. This has been going on for several mornings now. Also, the actual miles, on my phone seems to lag the actual miles, as indicated on the display in my car.
Is this a common problem with BMW Connected?

Note that the BMW Connected doesn't provide you an update on the cars charge when it's off. If you scroll down the screen, you'll see the last time the car gave you an update on the range data. I don't know why BMW decided to do that, but it is what it is. You will see updates if the car is connected to a charger.

As far as the change in range, it could be for a few different reasons.

1: Do you have the car set to precondition?
2: Is the temperature when you park the car and later in the day significantly different?
If the temps dip into the 50's you'll lose range.

Mike

2: Is the temperature when you park the car and later in the day significantly different?

Mike
[/quote]

Normally I do set the preconditioning Mike. The operative word there is 'normally.". I shut off the preconditioning" as my kids schools are closed , due to covid 19, and we all don't get up early for the time being. I'll change the preconditioning time.
My car charges in our garage. It's certainly cooler overnight as the garage isn't heated.

The BMW Connected app predicts a range that is always lower than that displayed on our i3's instrument panel. My theory is that the BMW Connected app assumes Comfort mode whereas our i3 is coded to default to EcoPro mode.

vger105 said:

Mike

Normally I do set the preconditioning Mike. The operative word there is 'normally.". I shut off the preconditioning" as my kids schools are closed , due to covid 19, and we all don't get up early for the time being. I'll change the preconditioning time.
My car charges in our garage. It's certainly cooler overnight as the garage isn't heated.
[/quote]

Ideal temps are between 77 and 104 F. You'll see range degradation below or over. Cold affects more negatively than heat. Range will also drop if you turn on creature comforts. HVAC. Preconditioning the cabin helps to avoid range loss from initial vehicle operation.

Back