Tar spot removal

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HectorPascal

Anyone any ideas what is the best stuff to remove tar spots from the plastic panels (white in our case).

I tried test areas with:

Celulose Thinners
Petrol
Brake dust cleaner
Brake fluid
Tar Spot Remover (Covid precludes ready supply)
BMW dealer is closed due Covid.

As I don't know the properties of the plastic and it's coatings I wish to proceed with caution.
Petrol is probably the best but dangerous.

My wife coated the car badly with spots pretty much all in one go thanks to local authorities penchant for spraying liquid tar atop pot holes and dumping grit and dust on top of that in the hope that will 'magic' the road better.

Don' use brake fluid for sure. This probably will crinkle the paint. I would suggest testing a spot with a simple cloth dabbed with paint thinner. If your remember your science class where "like dissolves like". So petroleum products, like tar that comes from petroleum, with be solublized with a petroleum like product. So paint thinner that is a non polar solvent with dissolve a non polar substance such as tar. Alcohol may work but slowly. that's my suggestion and the tar remover should work as well.

The paint on the bumpers is, I'm pretty sure, the same as the body except on the i3, that paint has an additive in it that makes it more flexible for probably the whole thing except maybe the roof. BMW only uses that additive on their metal clad cars on the flexible sections. So, most bug and tar removers should work, but test in a small area first. FWIW, BMW does sell a bug and tar remover, but anyone's should work.

Use WD40. DO NOT USE BRAKE FLUID it removes paint. Just spritz a bit of WD40 directly on the tar, then gently wipe it off. After the tar is removed, DAWN dishwashing soap easily cleans off the WD40 residue.
Road Jager

DO NOT USE PAINT THINNER EITHER, it will FUp the paint finish.

Back