Apple Car Play 2018 i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maritimer67

Hi, I’m looking at two 2018 i3’s to purchase. Both similarly equipped with Tech, HK, Sunroof, etc., but only one has the apple car play option included nd the color I prefer doesn’t have the option. I’ve had two previous BMW’s with car play and I want it. I’ve searched this forum and others and can’t seem to find a straight answer on whether the car play can be dealer retrofitted to the 2018 for about the same money as the $300 new vehicle option. Anyone have direct experience / info in this regard?
Thanks

Hi, I just upgraded my 2016 i3 Rex to Apple car play albeit it was an aftermarket non BMW device. This particular kit is very easy to install as it fits underneath the back seat without having to run any wires to the front. Amazon sells them. It works perfectly.

Thanks for the reply. All of these aftermarket devices, say they are for 2014 - 2017 i3’s, which is why I suspect that something different happened with the 2018 onward cars. That’s why I’m wondering if its an easier dealer retrofit to the car rather than going aftermarket.

Has anyone installed a Bimmer Tech Car Play unit (MMI Prime) on 2014-2017 model? Thinking of getting one for my 2017.

Any downsides?

More good news today on this topic. Chargepoint has adopted Car Play support. Wish BMW would, or PlugShare.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/11/17/carplay-support-chargepoint-ev/

BL5 said:
Has anyone installed a Bimmer Tech Car Play unit (MMI Prime) on 2014-2017 model? Thinking of getting one for my 2017.

Any downsides?

Just finished installing B-tech’s MMI Prime in my 2015 Tera REx. Works great. No issues. ChargePoint app is there too. Got it during their 10% off sale last month. If you don’t have trim tools, get a set. Their tools worked really well. Their YouTube installation video is oversimplified, but is good for watching the guy use his trim tools, harness install, box location, etc. You’ll get the link to the install/setup instructions in your B-tech account downloads if you buy one. Those details are good.

The hardest part is running the main harness from the head unit to the dash. I managed to remove/install the required door sill trim pieces, the passenger side bass speaker cover, and clips without breaking anything. Whew! The trim pieces will pop off the clips when they’re removed. If you carefully pry the plastic clips out of the holes with the tool(s), they won’t break.

I had to feed the main harness cable underneath the bottom edge of the steel rear seat base by hand. The connector end for the MMI box is just barely thin enough to clear the gap. It wouldn’t work using a fish. Once clear of the base, the rest of the harness fed through to the front just fine.

Removing the right dash air vent: Ease it forward gently by hand and it will release far enough forward to get the glove box out. Don’t pry on it or the mounting clips will break. I mounted the box in the location shown in their video but attached closed-cell foam strips to the left and right edges to insulate it from the hard surfaces and to keep it from moving. Plus a zip tie around the base of the WiFi antenna connector to a wire harness in that area.

Other than these things, it all went fine. Hope this is of some help.

Back