2017 Bmw i3 gear selector lever replacement

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

I have not attempted the replacement of my gear selector knob.

HOWEVER

I am interested in why you need to undertake this repair.

I may need to undertake this job, but as yet am unsure if its needed in my case.

In the recent code weather in the UK my selector has sporadically gone "slack". ie it still can be moved through the various position. The selected gear or setting is selected, but the selector will not stay in the selected position, and wants to flop down to the reverse position.

I can force the selector to have its normal "stiff" feel by flipping it forward and backwards quickly several times.

I have not found any posts regarding this fault on the site, your post is the only one I have come across that is vaguely related.

Any thoughts.

Do you need to replace the entire lever?

61316999578. (from 11/01/2017)
61319364798 (11/01/2015 — 02/26/2018), Bilaterally exchangeable
61316991212 (11/01/2050 — 02/21/2017)

If you need only the end knob you turn to change gears:
61319343699 Rep.kit, gear switch cover/rotary lock

Hi I am having a similar issue on my I3. The selector is ok when I first (START) the car but at some point it becomes loose and feels as if it is disconnected. Did you get a solution to your problem? My car is going to BMW next week ? It has only done 36000 miles . Is drive train cover still effective up to50000 miles?
Rgds eddie

HI
My wifes i3 have just staring to have the same problem .
Its very irretating to site in midle of the road trying to go get R or D to conect ?
So if anyone knowes what its is . please .

hi guys...seemed to have run into same problem as lithium kid...my drive selector seemed suddenly slack and loose...could still select drive and reverse but not neutral.

few hours later it was back to normal.

did any of you find out what needs yo be fone for this? many thanks

hi anyone got any response from BMW on this one? The problem is intermittent but no-one at BMW wants to recognise it. Usual response is if you let us have the car for a few days we will look into it? (at the usual hourly rate?) I suspect it may be a timing issue when the car is first initialised. It think the mechanism is essentially magnetic? Has anyone ever taken one of these apart? It also seems that the drive selector have to be recognised by the computer system before they will work so switching for another unit mat not be easy?
Rgds eddie
This problem has been repaired? by BMW Crewe ? It is corrected by tightening the selector lever in the unit. Not exactly how much the cost was but around £200 +vat etc. On the way to BMW to have this and another very expensive problem fixed the car dropped into neutral whilst going forward. I have reported this to BMW and await their response? The consequences could be very serious? The car would not open on last friday morning so i thought the Battery in the key must be flat? Replaced it still didn't work. I used the manual key to open the door and found that the car would not recognise the key fob. As I have only one key rang BMW for advice was advised to contact AA !! Eventually I got the key fob recognised and started the car and took it to BMW. I reported the loose selector and the key issue. I got the car back on wednesday of this week with a bill for £741 for a replacement key (which I didn't need as it wasn't the source of the problem). The problem was eventually fixed by a Software upgrade. Is this the most expensive software upgrade for a BMW yet?

Hi me too same problem
The problem seems intermittent ; happened twice but the problem seems to resolve itself soon after by itself
If anyone has found a solution to this; gear shifter suddenly becomes slack/loose, please let us know

Hi apparently the fix for this is to tighten the crimps on the cable. I am still awaiting the official response to my query to BMW on this but I am concerned that this mechanical failure could have serious consequences. My car dropped into Neutral of its own accord when the selector was loose.

You can get one used one on eBay for about $100: https://www.ebay.com/itm/184578570075.

There are others on eBay but the prices are much higher: $200, $250, $500. If you don't mind waiting there are several in Eastern Europe (Bulgaria, Latvia, Poland) for about $150 to $200.

My 2017 i3 drive selector also went very slack. Turned everything off, left the car for 4 hours. Turned on and all was good, positive selection.

Back