Getting Additional Key Fob

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swapsafari

All,

I have a question in regards to getting an additional key fob. Just bought an used i3 and came with only one key. I would like to get another one and based on my research on the forum, I understand that the only option is to go to the dealership and get a pre-programmed key specific to the vehicle and that the after market ones from eBay won't work.

With that in mind, I reached out to couple of places online (bmwpartsnow.com) as I saw their price lowest but they mentioned that they can't ship the key as I have to be physically present at the dealership showing proof of purchase and registration to validate the proof of ownership. Is that true? Can you not buy keys online?

With that in mind, I called some local dealerships in the DFW area and the couple of them I called said the same thing about coming to the dealership first and showing ownership documents. Also, the prices they quoted are close to $500!!! that is outrageous. reading the forum, I understand that people have been able to get the keys for 200-300$ and able to program themselves to the vehicle after receiving the key in the mail.

Please advice. TIA

I contacted one of the Ebay dealers and they told me that I have to go to a local Car Locksmith and get the key cut and programmed.

The new keys on ebay are only $50 - no idea what a Locksmith charges?
But something worth investigating.

Please report back.

My understanding is that the dealer has to code the key to the specific VIN - that each car/vin has 10 unique key codes available and one of those must be programed into a key by a dealer. Only a key programmed with one of a specific vehicles 10 key codes will work with that car. Not sure how a 3rd party locksmith would get access to the car's key codes. If a key fob is lost or stolen, the dealer can 'lock' that specific key code in the car, so that the lost/stolen key cannot be used to start the car, and then use one of the remaining unused key codes to program a new key fob. For security and liability, I don't see BMW giving access to a vehicles key codes outside of their dealerships.

I have no idea if this is true, but one service manager told me that in the i3, the key fob is integral to the TPMS functionality. That's different from other models, if true.

I lost one a few years ago, and through the dealer at the time, it was about $350 for a new one. I did have them lock the old one out so it could not access the car as a precaution, although, the key would still work on the door if they actually found my vehicle (not likely, but possible).

They required a copy of the registration and my driver's license to be able to order one. Otherwise, anyone could look in the window, get the VIN, and order one.

jadnashuanh said:
I have no idea if this is true, but one service manager told me that in the i3, the key fob is integral to the TPMS functionality. That's different from other models, if true.

I lost one a few years ago, and through the dealer at the time, it was about $350 for a new one. I did have them lock the old one out so it could not access the car as a precaution, although, the key would still work on the door if they actually found my vehicle (not likely, but possible).

They required a copy of the registration and my driver's license to be able to order one. Otherwise, anyone could look in the window, get the VIN, and order one.

Correct! that is the reasoning the BMW rep gave me as well as to why they need to proof of Ownership. As for the Ebay route, I think some have tired that and have failed. You have to have the BMW dealership preprogram it your VIN to be able to make it work is my understanding. For the pricing, I have been told to keep looking and at times there might be dealers selling it for lower price ($200-300 range). I will try calling few more dealers in my area to compare prices. Thanks all for your responses.

Back