BMW Software Update - recommended?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adapt

Hi all,

I am new to the i3 world - while reviewing the BMW site I noticed a software update was available for my vin.

BMW Software Update: please download update and transfer via USB-stick to your BMW.

https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html

Have you updated your i3 with this before?

Re: Bimmercode and similar, I'm not comfortable due to warranty concerns.

How to determine installed software version:

Go to:
1. "My Vehicle"
2. "iDrive settings"
3. "Software update"
4. "Show current version"

This is pretty minor system stuff, mainly media-related from what I gather. I did mine early on as a second owner, and it was seamless, no fuss, but I also didn't notice any differences pre- / post- install.

eNate said:
This is pretty minor system stuff, mainly media-related from what I gather. I did mine early on as a second owner, and it was seamless, no fuss, but I also didn't notice any differences pre- / post- install.

Thank you! The release notes looked like it was around improving ConnectedDrive services so that makes sense. I wanted to ask before applying the update and didn't see any similar posts when searching for software. Thanks for the reply!!

adapt said:
I am new to the i3 world - while reviewing the BMW site I noticed a software update was available for my vin.
In the past, I have downloaded this media and phone software update for my VIN only to discover that I had already installed this update. The message when trying to install the update wasn't as clear as it could have been even suggesting to me that some other error had occurred rather than the update having already been installed.

Maybe BMW has improved their on-line software update system to avoid these problems. I just noticed that no software update is available for our VIN which is better than learning this while trying to install it.

Back