2019 range extender - do they make sense for long journeys ?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejm22

Hi all
We’re very seriously contemplating buying one of the last i3’s with the range extenders- so a 2019 with low mileage
Our driving is very much two halves - lots is london city driving and we know this will be perfect, but we also drive 550miles to see family in south west France 3-4 times a year
Are we mad to contemplate an i3 for this? The electric network in France is getting better the range extender would give me peace of mind - but can anyone advise on doing long journeys and how long the battery tends to last when doing a steady 75mph on the motorway
We have dog so we are used to stopping every 2-3 hours anyway so figure as long as we do this where we can recharge and have the backup of the petrol we should be ok?
And can anyone explain what the ‘coding’ is all about that I’ve been reading in some threads ? Something to do with how much charge the battery holds ?
Thanks

The coding is for US cars only. European cars are already “coded” by BMW. It is the option to hold state of charge which is disabled in US cars. The 550 mile trip is definitely doable, but it takes an hour or two longer than an ICE car.

I have a 2016 i3 REX 94Ah, and whilst the range extender has been useful on a few occasions, I'm now finding it a maintenance liability, and would rather have the 120Ah battery plus heat pump option. IMO the UK charging network, although not fully developed, is adequate for long trips, given some advance planning.

I hope you'll be happy whichever way you go, after 30000+ miles I consider the i3 a very satisfying car to own and to drive!

Chris

Delighted with my 2018 94ah REx here and have done several big mileage trips using the range extender. Switch off the climate control and using the sunroof makes quite a difference to range and anything above 75MPH will eat through power quite quickly. Other than that, I have no concerns about long journeys and when you do have to stop, it’s a matter of moments to put the equivalent of £10 in the tank before carrying on. I thought I would have range anxiety when I switched from a lifetime of much loved petrol 6 and 8 cylinder cars. I haven’t had any such anxieties and nor do I miss those cars enough to go back to that way of motoring!

I routinely use my REX. I think it’d be fine for your purposes. I like the REX because I no longer have to hunt down a charge station, only to find it inoperable or shady. The infrastructure is already there when you need help, a gas station. If you stay 69 or slower, your battery will last much longer. Some people get impact rated gas tanks for their frunk. I’m mixed on that notion, but if you were going to a remote national park or something, I’d probably take one and put it in the trunk.

Back