Recurrent Wins NSF Grant to Study Battery Degradation in EVs

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizrecurrent

lizrecurrent said:
Hi All -

I'm super excited and wanted to share with other EV enthusiasts that Recurrent (www.recurrentauto.com) was awarded an NSF grant to continue our work studying battery degradation in EVs! https://www.geekwire.com/2021/recur...attery-data-helps-used-electric-car-shoppers/

This funding will allow us to get rid of our waitlist for new research drivers and expand to new make/models!

Happy to discuss our research plans!

Liz

That’s great news Liz! Being a Washington-ian, it’s awesome to hear a local company is forward thinking for this market gap.

Ultimately do you believe a vehicle’s battery health can have an impact on market used car value? Have you considered possible impact to insurance total loss evaluation?

Actual battery cell degradation is difficult to measure using a typical EV's instrumentation. Apparent degradation could be due actual irreversible cell degradation, charge level imbalance among all the cells that temporarily reduces usable capacity until the charge levels are balanced, or the battery management system reducing the usable capacity, for example, to decelerate the actual cell degradation rate, or increasing the usable capacity to hide actual cell degradation. How would you be able to distinguish among these various causes of apparent degradation?

Back