Mazda's Answer to the i3?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eNate

Staff member
Jalopnik published a drive report of the Japan-market Mazda MX-30. I sounds as if it's destined for the US later this year, or at least for California.

Linkey >> https://jalopnik.com/mazdas-funky-mx-30-ev-is-high-style-high-price-low-ra-1847003108

It's seems short sighted that this late in the game, Mazda's entry is based on the CX-30 gasoline powered crossover. It draws the natural comparison to the i3 due to how its rear doors open,

The rear seats look to offer about as much rear passenger room as the i3, this despite the car overall being 15" longer. No doubt due to the hood that looks like it could swallow a V6 (but no frunk!).

The model tested has a 37 kWh battery and about 130 miles real-world of range. So really, it seems no more capable than a portly 2017.

54f4ca3210ac300f4cd1bca264785af9.jpg

I have a feeling that we are not going to see anything like i3 - a distinctively styled compact RWD car.

gt1 said:
I have a feeling that we are not going to see anything like i3 - a distinctively styled compact RWD car.
That might be true in the U.S., at least for a few more years. However, there are several nice, compact, RWD, hatchback EV's available in Europe (e.g., VW ID.3, Honda e).

But what is the price? Mazda can successfully sell this kind of less capable spec if they sell it cheap enough.

I love Mazda as a brand. I've owned three RX-8s (two of them R3s) and I think the Mazda3 and Mazda6 are by far the best vehicles in their respective classes in terms of driving dynamics and interior/exterior design.

Having said that, this car looks like a turd. Awkward/ugly proportions, especially in comparison to other Mazda models, and poor range for a vehicle that will be sold in the U.S. I don't see it selling well in the U.S. given the competition.

If I'm not mistaken, the stance of Mazda is that larger batteries will make the car heavier which will have a negative effect on the efficiency. As this car, just like our i3 and the Honda E are marketed as city cars, it could be argued that charging can be done during the night for these things. So, a huge battery pack doesn't make a lot of sense.

Back