Will you order all electric or Rex?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaz26

Cant make up my mind which version to order. I have the use of another car so do I really need the Rex version? 0.60 is 7.9 against 7.2 so carrying extra weight makes a difference to performance and I guess range in electric mode.

Tom having lived with the ActiveE which do you think you will go for?

Rex all the way for me.

The range anxiety of a pure EV would kill me.

OTM if my cars drop below 100 miles range I fill up. I know its a mind-set but my thoughts are a pure EV despite having potentially 100mile range I would only ever use 80 miles max because I may need to do a detour or miss a junction or both! ..... whereas with a Rex it just wouldn't matter.... I know I would rarely use it .... but the times I did it would be worth its weight in gold.

Plus driving out of the garage each morning with 180 miles range suits me fine.

I'm certainly glad BMW are offering both options.

Well, I need at least 85 miles of range DURING THE ENTIRE TIME I OWN THE VEHICLE, NOT JUST OUT OF THE BOX! Keep in mind the range will go down from day 1 at perhaps 2-3% per year. I also drive more freeway than most. Net net please give me an EV with 120 miles of range out of the box. The REx, Tesla, or something like the Volt is the only way I can own an EV.

That said, I believe the REx adds 300 lbs. to the weight of the i3. So using an old shade-tree formula, change in mpg = 40% times change in weight. So the EV range of the REx is about 4% less than the standard i3. BMW could have added 8 kwh to the battery pack, charged roughly the same price as the REx, saved perhaps 140 lbs., and offered a car w/120 miles+ range and perhaps 90 miles+ range 10 years hence.

I don't think either of these two work for me, but that doesn't mean the i3 won't be successful. Also, if I were to lease the standard, non-REx i3 the battery degradation isn't significant over 3 years so I could turn in the i3 upon lease expiry and reload on a ~30 kwh vehicle when battery costs/weights are likely to be much lower.

Impressive car, though, for those of you who can operate within the constraints.

gaz26 said:
Cant make up my mind which version to order. I have the use of another car so do I really need the Rex version? 0.60 is 7.9 against 7.2 so carrying extra weight makes a difference to performance and I guess range in electric mode.

Tom having lived with the ActiveE which do you think you will go for?

I'm still not 100% sure, I keep bouncing back and forth. I'll decide when the official EPA range rating is announced on the BEV i3. If it's less than 90 miles per charge there is no decision, I need the REx. If somehow it's equal to or greater than the ActiveE's 94mpc, then I'll probably go with the BEV i3.

I was originally planning to go with the Rex, but I have decided now to go with the pure electric vehicle. The impression I got from speaking to the BMW i3 project manager at London's Tuesday event is that if you don't need the extra range you will get a significantly better overall experience if you do without the Rex. What I am still struggling with is whether to order the DC charge preparation, £560 is a lot for something I may never need as most my return journeys should be within an 80 mile range.

Definitely all electric.

Two reasons: First, I have been driving a Nissan Leaf for just over a year now and I have conquered range anxiety. Once you understand your car and its capabilities (as well as the local supporting infrastructure) then you simply adapt to the reality and do not ask for performance outside the envelope.

Secondly, I appreciate everything the BMW designers did to minimize the weight of the vehicle and to achieve 50/50 weight distribution. To add about 300 pounds of ICE equipment to the rear is an insult to their effort.

Keep mine simple and pure - buy an i8 if you feel the need for gas!

I am not 100% sure either. I drive a LEAF (most days) also. While the LEAF is a good car and I have enjoyed driving it, there are some 'medium range' trips (~100 to ~200 miles) that I simply cannot do with it that I could do with an i3 ReX. I can take the MINI, but more doors and seats would be optimal for such trips.

But....I, too, like the KISS (Keep it Simple Stupid) philosophy and think, on the other hand, that the pure electric version with its cheaper cost, better performance, better weight distro could be a fine choice.

Decisions, decisions...

YashuV said:
I'm buying pure ev

I can tell you as a 3 year volt owner that is buying this car, that I would not purchase it without the REX. For starters, I'll assume the best case scenario, the i3 gets 100 miles of EV. Ok, that distance will of course be effected by 3 things. Speed, topography and temperature. I've seen my Volt get under 20 miles of EV when its very cold (IE Heat on high) and your driving faster than 55. So that 100 miles may be closer to 50 ( or even less if we assume its 80 regular miles)... Now, I'm well aware that 80% of Americans drive less then 40 per day, but without a range extender, you may have some serious stress about wether you're going to make it or not. I've done many trips were I've done 99% of the trip in EV, but needed the gas engine to get me the last few miles. Remember, a range extender is easy to refill and get back on the road. Even if you had to drive every 86 miles and stop. But when the batter is done, you are dead in the water, with hours to wait to recharge with a level II charger and half a day if its a regular outlet. Other things to think about. What about traffic? a detour? You get lost? An emergency? or you just plain old forget to charge the car?? NOW PLEASE, no panicking, I'm not trying to scare anyone. I will never buy a gas car again and I think BMW has something here, but unless you never leave manhattan, I'd be a little nervous without a back up.

the43k said:
YashuV said:
I'm buying pure ev

I can tell you as a 3 year volt owner that is buying this car, that I would not purchase it without the REX. For starters, I'll assume the best case scenario, the i3 gets 100 miles of EV. Ok, that distance will of course be effected by 3 things. Speed, topography and temperature. I've seen my Volt get under 20 miles of EV when its very cold (IE Heat on high) and your driving faster than 55. So that 100 miles may be closer to 50 ( or even less if we assume its 80 regular miles)... Now, I'm well aware that 80% of Americans drive less then 40 per day, but without a range extender, you may have some serious stress about wether you're going to make it or not. I've done many trips were I've done 99% of the trip in EV, but needed the gas engine to get me the last few miles. Remember, a range extender is easy to refill and get back on the road. Even if you had to drive every 86 miles and stop. But when the batter is done, you are dead in the water, with hours to wait to recharge with a level II charger and half a day if its a regular outlet. Other things to think about. What about traffic? a detour? You get lost? An emergency? or you just plain old forget to charge the car?? NOW PLEASE, no panicking, I'm not trying to scare anyone. I will never buy a gas car again and I think BMW has something here, but unless you never leave manhattan, I'd be a little nervous without a back up.

Whether it suits you or not is an individual choice and decision. But as a counter argument I have been driving pure EV's for four years now and have driven them about 130,000 miles. Yep, I've driven over 30,000 a year in my 80-100 mile EV for the past four years so It is very possible to do so without running out in the dead of winter (I live in Northern NJ so we get a lot os snow here). I've driven in storms, floods, detours, traffic, hurricane Sandy, without any major problems.

The range extender does offer a second level of assurance and I think it will be a very popular option. I am in fact considering getting it so I can do the 220 mile drive to my in laws in Vermont once a month or so. However other then that, the 80-100 miles has been perfect for me and I drive about 600 miles per week which is much more than the average driver.

This is such a big decision, not sure how to decide having never driven an EV before. On the one hand I know I'd feel very disappointed to be lugging the petrol engine around when I would only be needing it every 6 weeks or so, but on the other hand the i3 would be my only vehicle so I need to cover all eventualities. I think deep down I know I'll end up with the Rex even though I don't want it !

Shame BMW don't make it possible to retro-fit the Rex so that you could buy it afterwards if you realise that you do need it.

First post btw after a lot of lurking, so hi, especially to Tom & Parker who have provided lots of stuff to read as I wait patiently :D

Plug said:
This is such a big decision, not sure how to decide having never driven an EV before. On the one hand I know I'd feel very disappointed to be lugging the petrol engine around when I would only be needing it every 6 weeks or so, but on the other hand the i3 would be my only vehicle so I need to cover all eventualities. I think deep down I know I'll end up with the Vex even though I don't want it !

Shame BMW don't make it possible to retro-fit the Vex so that you could buy it afterwards if you realise that you do need it.

First post btw after a lot of lurking, so hi, especially to Tom & Parker who have provided lots of stuff to read as I wait patiently :D

When people tell me they don't know if they could live with a 100 mile BEV I tell them to do this:

Keep a pad and pen in your car. Every night when you are done driving for the day record your mileage for the day and reset your trip odometer. Do this for two or three months and see how many times you drove more and 85 or 90 miles or as far as the range of the BEV you are considering goes. Then think about the days you did drive over the limit, would you have had an opportunity to plug in during the day sometime to recharge a bit and allow you to drive as far as you did. Then on those days where you would have needed to drive further than the car would allow, could you have taken another family car and switched with your spouse for the day or did the extra miles suddenly come up and you wouldn't have been able to prepare for it. If you do this for 2 or 3 months you'll get a good picture of how living with a BEV may be for you.

I have a question for you Tom.

I'm of the same opinion as Plug, I'd rather not have to deal with all the issues of a gasoline engine if I'm going to get a BEV. However, I have an 80 mile round trip commute with an inconvenient charging capability at work. Given the estimated 93 mile range, I may end up using the REx on a regular basis which is not what I had heard BMW is recommending.

Did they discuss their expectations for the frequency of REx use?

Dan

DHouk said:
I have a question for you Tom.

I'm of the same opinion as Plug, I'd rather not have to deal with all the issues of a gasoline engine if I'm going to get a BEV. However, I have an 80 mile round trip commute with an inconvenient charging capability at work. Given the estimated 93 mile range, I may end up using the REx on a regular basis which is not what I had heard BMW is recommending.

Did they discuss their expectations for the frequency of REx use?

Dan

With an 80 mile round trip I'd be concerned if you will be driving in an area that gets cold in the winter. If so you will need the REx. Like with all EV's the cold temperatures will reduce your range even with a liquid bases thermal management system like what the i3 has. Yes, you can use the REx very day if you need to, I specifically asked. That original quote was really more about people using it to drive hundreds of miles on a daily basis. This car is simply not meant for that. You can if you need to, but really if you plan to use the range extender for many miles of driving every day then you probably should be looking at another car to buy because the REx really isn't there for extended use daily. If you need to use it for 10 or 15 miles a day then of course it's fine to do so.

I think I'll go for the Rex version.
I thought about it quite a long time, because I am driving 75 km every day.
I know I can do it without Rex and had no trouble when I used the Active-E to go home, but still, I go quite often to my parents who live around 150 km away.
As it is mostly highway the range of the BEV is not enough, but with the Rex it would be perfect.
I also have another car, not electric, but I think I would rather drive the i3 as often as possible, and use the other car only if I need to go on holidays or to drive longer distances...

I'm leaning towards all electric.

4T9 - Cold weather cabin preparation - is only available with out the range extender. Apparantly, 4T9 is required for remote control the cabin pre-heating. One of the reasons I want an EV is to be able to get into a pre-warmed car on cold winter mornings. If that turns out to be incorrect, we will probably get the RangeExtender.

Debbie is leaning towards REx. No range anxiety on her part. There are trips we occasionally do that an i3 won't make without REx. We live on Anglesey. Day trips to Manchester or Liverpool are not going to happen without REx or a rapid charge.

A compatible Rapid charge network is coming but I don't expect to see any in North Wales in the next year or two.

AndrewDebbie said:
I'm leaning towards all electric.

4T9 - Cold weather cabin preparation - is only available with out the range extender. Apparantly, 4T9 is required for remote control the cabin pre-heating. One of the reasons I want an EV is to be able to get into a pre-warmed car on cold winter mornings. If that turns out to be incorrect, we will probably get the RangeExtender.

Debbie is leaning towards REx. No range anxiety on her part. There are trips we occasionally do that an i3 won't make without REx. We live on Anglesey. Day trips to Manchester or Liverpool are not going to happen without REx or a rapid charge.

A compatible Rapid charge network is coming but I don't expect to see any in North Wales in the next year or two.

When you have the opportunity to speak with a BMW i representative, ask about the pre-heating and cooling feature. I cannot believe it's only available with the REx option. I have been told otherwise - at least for the US market. I was told you can set the car to condition the battery and cabin either smartphone or from the cars settings. Having the REx or not should make no difference.

Back