Schedule Charging Issue

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jplima

Hello everyone,

My name is Paulo and I'm from Portugal, I am a proud owner of a 2014 BMW i3 rex and I've recently have been having this issue (not sure if it's a problem) when I schedule charging by night so here it goes:
The car is programmed to charge between 00:00 and 7:15 every working day, I leave the car in the garage usually with 40-45% battery at the end of the day. The last two nights I don't know why the car won't charge full 100% and it has plenty of time to do it. A couple of nights ago the charging process stopped at 86% and last night stopped at 90%. Coincidence or not two days ago I had to set the time manually due to changing timezone hours (usually it's an automatic thing the car does). Now, has anyone else had an issue like this?
P.S. I have replaced the 12V battery this year so this one is out I guess.

Sorry for my English
Thanks, Everyone
PL

Hello, Paulo!

Please let us know what EVSE (wall box) you're using and its voltage (240V assumed).

As I remember, a 2014 European i3 could be ordered with one or two KLEs (in German, a KLE is the internal module which really converts wall AC to battery-friendly DC).

An i3 fitted with one KLE i3 draws 3.6kW while charging. An i3 fitted with two KLEs draws 7.2kW while charging and will be roughly two times faster than a single-KLE i3.

Ladies and gents, please hop in here if I've gotten the maths wrong!

frictioncircle said:
Hello, Paulo!

<span>Please let us know what <a href="http://www.myelectriccarforums.com/electric-vehicle-charger/" class="interlinkr" target="_blank">EVSE<span class="tip">Compare EVSE equipment</span></a> (wall box) you're using and its voltage (240V assumed).</span>

As I remember, a 2014 European i3 could be ordered with one or two KLEs (in German, a KLE is the internal module which really converts wall AC to battery-friendly DC).

An i3 fitted with one KLE i3 draws 3.6kW while charging. An i3 fitted with two KLEs draws 7.2kW while charging and will be roughly two times faster than a single-KLE i3.

Ladies and gents, please hop in here if I've gotten the maths wrong!

I There
I don't have any dedicated wall box, I mean I charge the i3 in a normal "schuko" plug at my home garage but I do that since the beginning of time (meaning for 2 years now) the voltage is 220/240, and yes it charges very slow (2,4kwh i think) but it's by night so it's ok. I have always managed to charge normally since two days ago simply don't do the full charge.
Last night I tried to trick the car changing by minutes the window of charging, so I change it to 00:30 to 07:00 a.m (was from 00:00 to 07:15) and it did the full charge. I guess it could be a software thing I don't know...today I left the car at the BMW dealer for normal maintenance and told them about the glitch, they just look at me having no idea what I was talking about so I guess they have no clue. Anyway, they should reset the system that's why it's there for, an electronic check and oil change.

Any ideas?

Back