Warranty and experience at the dealership

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Map40

I went to the dealership to find out what warranty does my 2018 I3s 94 REx has, and it was a terrible experience. The chargers were used by cars fully charged for sale, and when I asked about the warranty they scanned my key and told me how much I had left on my 4/50k warranty. I asked What about the battery and the REx? The service advisor told "is the same". I asked him politelly to check again and he looked into the computer at something else and turned around and told me "yes, the same". Is this common? I thought a BMW dealer would be better...
By the way, what is the warranty on the REx????

If you don't have the U.S. BMW i3 Service and Warranty Information manual, you should be able to download it. That would likely be a better source of accurate information than a dealership that sells many different models.

alohart said:
If you don't have the U.S. BMW i3 Service and Warranty Information manual, you should be able to download it. That would likely be a better source of accurate information than a dealership that sells many different models.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the warranty is so complex about what is covered and what is not depending on your state that it makes it impossible to understand

It’s pretty simple. The 4-year/50K warranty cover the entire vehicle except the high voltage battery and the REx emission systems. The high voltage battery has an 8-year/80K warranty and an 8-year/100K capacity warranty. The emission system has either the federal coverage or California coverage depending on your state of residence.

Depending on how you asked the questions, the service advisor might have thought you meant the REx mechanicals and 12-volt battery that are covered under the general 4/50 warranty.

stumbledotcom said:
It’s pretty simple. The 4-year/50K warranty cover the entire vehicle except the high voltage battery and the REx emission systems. The high voltage battery has an 8-year/80K warranty and an 8-year/100K capacity warranty. The emission system has either the federal coverage or California coverage depending on your state of residence.

Depending on how you asked the questions, the service advisor might have thought you meant the REx mechanicals and 12-volt battery that are covered under the general 4/50 warranty.

And you make exactly my point. According to the manual, the APU is covered for 15y/150k in all 50 states. In some states 10y/100k is covered by emissions. The mechanics of the Rex is the APU and could be the emmisions. How is it simple, and how can a SERVICE ADVISOR just say "No, just the 4y50k is all I know and see"???

Yes, it’s confusing because it’s written by lawyers to conform with the applicable federal or California regulations. But the 15-year/15K coverage is the emissions warranty. It only applies when the car fails a smog test.

Should your REx refuse to start after the new car warranty ends and it hasn’t failed a smog test, you have no coverage.

I've had my 2017 REx for nearly 2 years so I have to smog it. The CEL is on and has been on and off for a while. I've checked it before but cant remember what it was other than it saying it was minor.

I know the car has an extended warranty, but cant find the doc I used to have saved.

Can someone link me to that so I can make sure the dealer doesnt try to screw me? I also need to flush the brakes and probably will have them do it for me, but the Indy I spoke to quoted me $200 to do it. Not sure where that is in comparison with the dealer, but Im sure they will suggest it.

Might need to sell the car soon too so is there anything else I should do while they have it? I hate dealers so I'm trying to go in with eyes open on what to expect.

Pic of the car for your enjoyment
52856561254_b009d6fd83_b.jpg

Back