MKH

Re: Test drove 2016 I3 and battery level went down to 2 miles and REX did not start, is this normal?

I was a little taken back in that they told me over the phone the extended warranty would be approximately $900 ~ $1600
Check out the extended warranty from BMW (the only other one worth anything) - with it your looking at around $5 grand for just two years of coverage beyond the factory four year warranty. Considering the cost of repairs to an i3 (or any modern car for that matter) and the Carmax warranty is a bargain at those prices.

Just going by people who have bought i3s at Carmax, and had them repaired under the Carmax warranty. Everyone had good things to say.

When an ECM failure can run$4K to $6K, an electric motor failure $9K, and a REx replacement $13K (all repairs that i3 owners had done with no question at BMW dealers under their Carmax warranty), I tend to think the Carmax warranty is pretty good- despite the lack of knowledge of your particular Carmax location.

There is a good i3 Facebook group - join and do a search there, or ask there for peoples experience with the Carmax warranty.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/BMWi3

Oh, and the i3 battery itself is covered by a separate BMW factory warranty for ten years.

Here is one posting on the i3 FB page on the Carmax warranty:
Ry Hatch
There is so much misinformation in the answers here. As a former technical production manager at carmax, I'll clear it up. This is completely unbiased and from one consumer to another. I left carmax on bad terms, but would still highly recommend the extended service plan (maxcare) from them.
1. CNA is the company who covers the vehicle sold by carmax. It can be used at BMW, carmax, or any repair facility that offers a 6 month and 6k mile warranty on their repairs parts and labor.
2. Carmax doesn't only cover/repair ICE vehicles; they repair Ev's, hybrids, and of course, the i3. Their technicians are ASE certified and the vehicle will go to a tech who can repair it. In the event their facility can't repair it, carmax will have the vehicle taken to a facility that can (i.e. BMW).
3. Maxcare is a named exclusion policy. This means that they specifically name the components that ARE EXCLUDED. All other components are included. A few components that aren't included: battery, shocks (struts/coilovers are included), battery, brake pads/rotors, body panels. Etc. These are wear items or components that you don't have.
4. You SHOULD get the vehicle from carmax and you SHOULD get the extended service plan. Many BMW, Mercedes, Audi, jaguar, and land rover techs and employees would purchase their vehicles from carmax just for the extended service plan.
5. A CPO from BMW only means that the vehicle met mileage and age requirements, nothing more. BMW includes a limited warranty and charges $3k-$7k more for the CPO name.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Again, I'm no longer with carmax and didn't leave on good terms, but they're the best when it comes to vehicles and the extended service plan.
accidentalyEV

Re: Test drove 2016 I3 and battery level went down to 2 miles and REX did not start, is this normal?

MKH wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:17 am
I don't think I will purchase it from Carmax.
Point out to Carmax that the REx isn't working properly - to fix it before you take another test drive. They most likely will then take it to a BMW dealer and get it sorted out. Quite likely it's that $20 fuel pump relay gone bad.

One thing about Carmax - if you opt for their extended warranty at time of purchase, it will cover everything, with all repairs done at a BMW dealership. It's rated one of the best extended warranties in the biz.

If I was looking for an i3, Carmax would be at the top of the list for just this reason.
Update, I called Carmax and they got the REX working so I plan to get an Uber there Friday to purchase it. I would have purchased tonight but I asked them where the charger was and they couldn't find it so it is ordered, and ETA is Thursday. The Maxcare warranty pricing is below. I am not crying about it just posting it for clarity. The 2016 I3 is $21,998 and has 32,000 miles on it now and they said that 32k miles is deducted from the extended warranty miles so if I purchase the 100,000 mile extended warranty it is actually 68,000 mile warranty for the next 60 months $3,800 for the $50 deductible. 125,000 mile extended warranty it is actually 93,000 mile warranty for the next 60 months $4,989 for the $50 deductible.

100,000 125,000

$50 $3,800 $4,989

$150 $3,279 $4,199

$300 $2,799 $3,539

$500 $2,499 $3,139
MKH

they said that 32k miles is deducted from the extended warranty miles so if I purchase the 100,000 mile extended warranty it is actually 68,000 mile warranty for the next 60 months
That kind of 'new math' is pretty common. When BMW sells their extended warranty for 'Five years - 75,000 miles' it counts from the car's first day on the road when sold new, and zero miles - so that 5/75 BMW extended warranty is actually for only ONE year beyond the four year factory warranty, and to 75,000 total miles. :?

Return to “News and Main BMW i3 Forum Discussions”