Lexus attacks the i3. Photoshops out the truth

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomMoloughney

Lexus recently posted a five minute video online which shows how awful it would be to use the i3 for long distance driving. While there is some truth to that since the i3's short range and recharge times don't make it the best road trip car, they definitely went overboard with this video. However what's interesting is it appears they used an i3 REx for the video, and photoshopped out the gas filler flap on most scenes. The problem is they missed one and you can clearly see at 4.23 that the car has a gas filler flap. If it was a REx they used for the whole shoot, than they could have easily made the trip with stopping a few times for gas.

Lexus has consistently bashed EV's while trying to promote their hybrid offerings but this time they singled out a specific car, the i3. Take a look. Discuss.

http://bmwi3.blogspot.com/2014/11/lexus-attacks-i3-and-uses-photoshop-to.html

electricvirgin said:
Well spotted!

Quite a cynical stunt from Toyota, would have expected a more honest approach.
Especially true since BMW and Toyota have a working agreement to develop the sports car and exchange some technology.

Personally, if i were BMW I'd respond with an advert showing how they get used for commuting.

Take the approach zat ze germans know ow to build ze gut kar.

Drag race them both to 45 in a city speed limit area. Stick SPL meters in on microphones. Repeat for 5 days. And then count the time spent in gas stations. How many cents a mile does CT200h cost.

Show the i3 driving itself vs the lexus owner getting frustrated.

We've got 5-10 years of EV bashing from Toyota / Lexus while they sell a few hundred to a few thousand hydrogen cars.

Back