I3 continuous Driving??

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idleup

Im sure this has been answered before but if you keep filling the gas tank could you continue to drive the I3 long distances?

Thanks

Mike

There's been quite a few folks (mostly European, but some US as well) that have posted in various forums about taking their i3 on long-duration trips. No one has reported a problem with the REx not working in those situations.
the REx engine is modified from a BMW motorcycle, so it shouldn't have a problem with running for long durations.

IMHO, the biggest issue with running it continuously is the pain in the butt of stopping every 75 minutes or so to fill up the tank.

...if you keep filling the gas tank could you continue to drive the I3 long distances?
You can - and I do, occasionally. If I'm going more than 150 (and even 300+) miles, I simply keep filling the tank every 90 miles or so. But be aware that I'm in the UK, and can switch the REx on (and off) when the battery is down to 75%. I do so, and run the petrol (gas) tank to nearly empty and fill up again. Sometimes, if I run the tank completely empty I simply continue on electric to the next petrol station for a refill. I've done a 700-mile round trip without charging at all.
The purists don't like it, but using the REx this way avoids me needing a second, ICE, car! And, jeffj, 5-minute top-ups of fuel every 90 miles is better than a 20-minute top-up at a DC Rapid charger every 70 miles - if there's a working and vacant charger available!

Yes , but not at more than 75mph on the flat. At that speed youll need the REX and the battery, and the battery will run flat. Stick to 70 or less if on hills and you'll go all day. If you are in the US, get the car coded and enable maintain SOC at 75% and the car will recharge back to 75% battery when less load is on the REX. When you are in spitting distance of the destination ... disengage the REX and complete on battery.

I have an annual 1,000 mile round trip to Le Mans 24h. Not doing it in the i3 in 2015, as Ive commited my Xtrail as support vehcile carrying camping gear for 8 guys, but in 2016 Ill be trying to do the lot on electric. Maybe. Or Ill just use the REX and a jerry can.

Code:
If you are in the US...
Nope, I'm in the UK.
Yes , but not at more than 75mph on the flat. At that speed you'll need the REX and the battery, and the battery will run flat. Stick to 70 or less if on hills and you'll go all day.
Nope again. I've actually done what I described above, and 70+mph on the clock on the M1 and M6 gets me 90+ miles on a tankful. The battery runs below 75% now and again, but next time you look, it's back up there again. :cool:
You'll love the car when you get it! :D

Sparky said:
You can, but I wouldn't do it regularly. I don't believe range extender unit was not designed for sustained usage. Just to get you home or to a charging station.

Not sure this is correct the engine in the I3 is a refined bike engine and i cant see why it could not be used on an everyday schedule, its just a generator supplying power to the batteries and motor. .

I ran this same engine in a bike and you virtually can't wear them out - unlike a bike where the engine goes through hell - this engine is sitting there at a constant load happy as can be. Keep in mind this ain't no Briggs or Kohler This engine situation is no different than any small car application, you are never going to wear the engine out in I3, BMW builds very dependable engines for both bikes & cars.

BMW generally uses condition based maintenance, which means it monitors itself and decides when it needs service. As long as you perform the services when it asks for them, you should not have any issues.

about refilling the REX, with a 5 gallon jerry can, in that case you can refill without having to stop at a petrol station... yes i'm a genius ;)

Hey the thought has crossed my mind but better yet years ago they made a round "METAL" can which was used as an extra tank for outboards. They were very stable and most important metal. I don't like these cheap plastic containers that blow up twice there size in the heat and could split or crack. The metal can easily holds pressure up to 100 lbs with no problem. If you're going on a trip it would give you some security - a 2 gal can would be ideal. The tall can can easily strap to the trunk area and leave space.

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

When we first got our i3 REx back in June, I had the same concern. As you know, one BMW exec was quoted as saying that the REx wasn't for daily use. I questioned my dealer who did some asking about and came back reporting from somewhere at BMW that the REx shouldn't be the "primary energy source". Of course, that begs the question of what the time frame is. Obviously the REx is the primary energy source on the day you take a 500-mile road trip without charging, but it isn't the primary energy source over the course of that week or month. So that answer was nearly useless.

I think this is one of those subjects on which common sense and the smart people on this forum have come up with a better answer than anyone has managed to pry out of BMW--here and on the i3 Facebook page the consensus seems to be that road trips are fine, but if road trips are to be the primary use of the car, you should buy something else. Our i3 is our only car, and we use it for 200 to 250-mile trips every few weeks. Except for the hassle of stopping frequently for gas, it does just fine. We do tend to drive a little slower than others on the freeway, say 65 or 70 mph, but on moderate terrain, the REx keeps up easily. We carry a 2-gallon Rotopax plastic jerry can for backup on those trips, though we find it's often faster and easier (no risk of spilled gas on hands, etc.) to just stop at a gas station.

Thanks for the reply - looks like you are really using the RX more than most - I can assure you the 650 engine is built to last - this almost same engine on bikes runs for decades, with the easy service and constant load in the i3 it has to be happy!

Back