Front End Warning Collision

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schanrx04

I really like this feature especially during the cruise control. My i3 does all the decelerating and accelerating. However, I can't seem to get to work like it was shown to me during a test drive at one of the BMW dealerships ( which was not the one I ended up purchasing it from). I remember the sale guy intentionally drove the car at low speed into a pole but the car stopped itself just right before the impact. I tried to do the same with my i3 by driving into a trash can, I did not get the same result. I heard it beeped giving me the warning but the break was not applied automatically and of course it ended up hitting the trash can. My warning setting was at the "Early". I tried multiple times with same result. Luckily it is only a trash can.
Did I do something wrong other than intentionally running into the trash can?
Is this normal? Does anyone ever try this with your i3 and what the result would be?
Thanks guys.

Schanrx04 said:
I really like this feature especially during the cruise control. My i3 does all the decelerating and accelerating. However, I can't seem to get to work like it was shown to me during a test drive at one of the BMW dealerships ( which was not the one I ended up purchasing it from). I remember the sale guy intentionally drove the car at low speed into a pole but the car stopped itself just right before the impact. I tried to do the same with my i3 by driving into a trash can, I did not get the same result. I heard it beeped giving me the warning but the break was not applied automatically and of course it ended up hitting the trash can. My warning setting was at the "Early". I tried multiple times with same result. Luckily it is only a trash can.
Did I do something wrong other than intentionally running into the trash can?
Is this normal? Does anyone ever try this with your i3 and what the result would be?
Thanks guys.

Hmm maybe your trash can is not big enough..

I didn't know the car had this feature until a mini crossed in front of me at a roundabout... a few quick beeps and i was stopped pretty rapid...

Maybe find a mini to test it on!!!

The switch that controls this has more than one step in functionality (separate from the alert warning). Double-check the user's manual, and make sure you actually have the full safety functionality turned on.

How do I know if I have this function (cant remember what i ordered my car with, the addon list for BMW is ridiculous!)?
Where would that "switch" be placed?

The switch that controls it (and the various other protection systems) is below the hazard indicator (looks like a car with a green circle around it if all the protection systems are on). Not bothered changing it on mine so not entirely sure what the other states are, but I would guess changing it would bring up something on the main screen to indicate what is on or off?

Back