Hey, Mr. Moderator!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodlandHills

When you come in to work on Monday, could you please remove the spam.......again? Looking at the post times it looks like your weekend started on Friday, hope you had fun....

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm about the moderators hours here? You know you could always volunteer to cover the weekends......

Well, you are right, I could be an unpaid volunteer at the Mods business and add to his profit, but by contributing content I already am part of the business, just like you. I just would like the person earning a living off of our posts to " tend to the garden", maybe keep the weeds pulled.... In other words stop freeloading off of us and do their job by making this a nice place to visit and contribute. Keeping on top of spam is a huge part of that, something at which the proprietor is doing a lackadaisical job to say the least.

On the plus side: we now know where to buy Priligy Online!!!

WoodlandHills said:
Well, you are right, I could be an unpaid volunteer at the Mods business and add to his profit, but by contributing content I already am part of the business, just like you. I just would like the person earning a living off of our posts to " tend to the garden", maybe keep the weeds pulled.... In other words stop freeloading off of us and do their job by making this a nice place to visit and contribute. Keeping on top of spam is a huge part of that, something at which the proprietor is doing a lackadaisical job to say the least.

Hey, no one asked you to post on here - and what about freeloading off of my server bandwidth? You're welcome to go start your own forum.

admin said:
WoodlandHills said:

Hey, no one asked you to post on here - and what about freeloading off of my server bandwidth? You're welcome to go start your own forum.

+1

admin said:
WoodlandHills said:

Oooh, did I touch a nerve? I am so sorry, I did not realize how thin skinned you were about criticism. My bad entirely..... I never meant to hurt anyone's fee-fees. :( Please accept my most humble apologies for the emotional pain and suffering I have caused you.

Just so everyone knows, the site owner (admin) who posted the response above, and I are the only moderators here.

He has asked me if I would like assistance in moderating this forum and I've repeatedly told him I don't think it's necessary. I constantly comb the posts for spam and usually delete it pretty quickly - I'm sure you don't realize just how much is posted because I usually get at it quickly and ban the person posting it. However, it does help if the members flag posts that are spam, that helps me get to them easier and you can always PM me if there is a problem. I also deal with feuding members from time to time although most everybody here is civil and respects others opinions and I'd like to thank you all for that.

In the mean time we are considering adding more moderators, especially if the members feel it necessary. The one thing I don't want to happen though is heavy-handed moderation. I like to allow the discussions to flow with little moderation, and I think that contributes to this being a great forum to discuss the i3. I prefer the hands off approach unless it's spam or things get confrontational, abusive or way off topic. What do you all think?

TomMoloughney said:
Just so everyone knows, the site owner (admin) who posted the response above, and I are the only moderators here.

He has asked me if I would like assistance in moderating this forum and I've repeatedly told him I don't think it's necessary. I constantly comb the posts for spam and usually delete it pretty quickly - I'm sure you don't realize just how much is posted because I usually get at it quickly and ban the person posting it. However, it does help if the members flag posts that are spam, that helps me get to them easier and you can always PM me if there is a problem. I also deal with feuding members from time to time although most everybody here is civil and respects others opinions and I'd like to thank you all for that.

In the mean time we are considering adding more moderators, especially if the members feel it necessary. The one thing I don't want to happen though is heavy-handed moderation. I like to allow the discussions to flow with little moderation, and I think that contributes to this being a great forum to discuss the i3. I prefer the hands off approach unless it's spam or things get confrontational, abusive or way off topic. What do you all think?

fairly new member here and have no complaints

Been here a while and think the site works well. Lot less spam on here than some other car related sites (with advertising) that I have used. Overall, I think you are doing a great job.

Tom, for a volunteer job, you do a tremendous job. Keep it up please and write more often for this and other blogs.

Under assault! This "charlesippo" guy just joined and created 35 spam posts in about 45 minutes. I've deleted them all and banned him.

The way we can eliminate this kind of spam is to not allow new members to post without it being moderated and approved. Then, once the new member has shown they are for real, like after they made 2 or 3 serious posts, they are allowed to post without moderation. The problem with that is new members come here and create a post and they get the message that their post much be approved before it's posted. This can take a few hours - or longer and that is a major turn-off for new members. It's a total buzz-kill for many and they don't return.

We'll keep doing it this way and see if the spam gets worse or not. You can always PM me to alert me of spam and that way I'll get to it quicker.

What some sites do is prevent a new person from posting links until they've made at least a few. A 'real' person could still ask a question and get a thread started, but not fill the place with adds or links. It gives the moderators a bit of time while still preventing massive, potentially virus ridden posts (for the most part).

Or check new user registrations against a spam database of known spam IPs and email addresses. Most forum software, including php have plugins that can do this.

Back