Text Messages

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F10M5

My other BMW's all received text messages (and sometimes emails). For some reason, I can't get it to work in the i3. Bluetooth is connected and phone works fine whether plugged into USB or not. I looked at Connected Drive and didn't see any problem. Phone is configured correctly as it works in the other BMW with seemingly the same software which leads me to believe it's something I didn't do right in the i3 as opposed to the phone itself. Normally, I would get a little envelope appear in the upper right hand corner of the nav screen to alert me of a message. Any help is appreciated.

I was told by my BMW "Genius" that text messages are not possible on the i3. Can this be true? He says it's available on the other models but not the i3. I find this hard to believe especially when it says "Messages" under either Connected Drive or somewhere else (I forgot where). Can someone please confirm that a high tech car like this wouldn't have features you can literally get in a car costing half as much!

My understanding is that it should work fine with an Android phone. If you have an iPhone long press the voice command button and tell Siri to "read my last text message". Siri works great through the bluetooth in the car.

F10M5 said:
I find this hard to believe especially when it says "Messages" under either Connected Drive or somewhere else (I forgot where).

Connected Drive > Messages is where destination addresses sent from Google Maps, i Remote app, or Concierge appear. Nothing to do with text messages.

I get what "messages" means. I'm just surprised that on a high tech car like this, you cannot receives texts (much less emails). My other BMWs all have this feature under "messages". I guess people don't care that much!

Obviously reading text or email messages while driving is discouraged but the office menu does give you the option to have them readout.
My observation today was that the iPhone has limited bluetooth connectivity. While at the dealer today the i genius connected his Samsung and was presented with his list of SMS and emails with the option of having them read out, delete, reply or compose new message. My iPhone was not giving me the same options

I get text messages into iDrive when my iphone 5S is bluetoothed to the car. I saw a thread a few months ago about the settings needed in the iphone to get it to work, tried it and sure enough I get the little mail icon and messages that can be read aloud to me. Of course I can't find the thread that explained how to do it.

SSi3 said:
I get text messages into iDrive when my iphone 5S is bluetoothed to the car. I saw a thread a few months ago about the settings needed in the iphone to get it to work, tried it and sure enough I get the little mail icon and messages that can be read aloud to me. Of course I can't find the thread that explained how to do it.

But when you pair up the iPhone does your list of stored SMS appear and are you able to reply to a SMS or even compose a text with I drive?

BoMW said:
SSi3 said:

But when you pair up the iPhone does your list of stored SMS appear and are you able to reply to a SMS or even compose a text with I drive?

Nope :(

At least on the US models there is an option buried deep in the menus called "Dragon Drive!" It's a subscription based service that will give you access to your text messages and email. Since a subscription service to get something that is considered a basic feature on virtually all other cars is idiotic I just coded the Office menu and SMS services back on in the car. They are already there but BMW decided that we should not get to use them.

jelloslug said:
At least on the US models there is an option buried deep in the menus called "Dragon Drive!" It's a subscription based service that will give you access to your text messages and email. Since a subscription service to get something that is considered a basic feature on virtually all other cars is idiotic I just coded the Office menu and SMS services back on in the car. They are already there but BMW decided that we should not get to use them.

I've coded mine and am getting a basic text feature which is a waste of time. Now my theory is that bmw are struggling to pair up the iPhone 6 fully. An I genius at the dealership paired up his Samsung with an i3 and the features available were comprehensive.
I shall try to pair up my iPhone 4 when my car is returned, to see if this model makes a difference.

jelloslug said:
I have the text messaging working on my iphone 6 in my i3

Can you confirm that once your pair your iPhone 6, you see

A list of all your texts on the right hand side of screen?
You can delete, reply and compose a new text using your I drive joystick?

I'm not jelloslug, but I activated iDrive Office by modifying the FA code (VO coding) and, as a result, can read new texts in the nav screen in my North America-spec i3. I see none of what you describe in the split screen at right. The ConnectedDrive site says the software is up to date.

The texts are read only, with no option to reply or compose. If I must reply to one while under way (which I try to avoid if), single-word replies on an Apple Watch or voice dictation via Siri are decent alternatives.

Composing a text with the iDrive controller would be too hazardous to my driving.

websterize said:
I'm not jelloslug, but I activated iDrive Office by modifying the FA code (VO coding) and, as a result, can read new texts in the nav screen in my North America-spec i3. I see none of what you describe in the split screen at right. The ConnectedDrive site says the software is up to date.

The texts are read only, with no option to reply or compose. If I must reply to one while under way (which I try to avoid if), single-word replies on an Apple Watch or voice dictation via Siri are decent alternatives.

Composing a text with the iDrive controller would be too hazardous to my driving.

Just as I thought, the iPhone 6 does not pair completely with enhanced bluetooth.
Now try pairing a Samsung Galaxy from a friend. All the features I mentioned become active, you can also reply using the I drive speech option.

Apple tends to lock down some functions, supposedly to protect the user, and that can make the interface with something like a car less than ideal. It's probably 'safer', but that's all relative.

BoMW said:
Just as I thought, the iPhone 6 does not pair completely with enhanced bluetooth
Hi,
this hampered behaviour is not limited to the iPhone 6. Our 5 and 5s only show new messages as well.
Regards, Steven

Siri is the answer for iPhone users. Long press on the voice commands button and she will read text messages or email. You can compose replies to texts pr email and it works quite well. It's less distracting that reading the screen while driving.

I also use Siri to send reminders to myself when I think of something while driving which I've found very handy.

That said, I've also been very pleased with the BMW voice command system for finding points of interest. It's slower than Siri, but pretty good at finding destinations when I'm driving and much less distracting than trying to dial in the name I'm searching for with the dymo-labeler wheel.

Could any of you post exactly what you coded to get new texts to be displayed on the iDrive screen? Apparently I didn't code the right things as this has so far not worked for me. I have the Office menu on my US-spec i3, but no texts show anywhere. I also only use BT--does this require the USB cable?

I have been using Siri over BT to read incoming texts, which works fine. I mostly want to see the envelope in case I don't hear (or feel) my phone. :)

Back