PluviaPlumbum

Re: Hybrid electric drivers drive more electric miles.

Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:26 am

I can only echo some of the sentiments of Rex owners on here, without the Rex option the main user (my OH) would not have been very comfortable with the BEV range under all circumstances Winter/Summer, as we have a 60 mile commute with a free to use CCS Rapid stop en route this has eliminated any range anxiety for us completely. The occasional longer distance trip over 100 miles means we don't have to stop for the last section of the journey which is a consideration as well.

Thus far with about 8% Rex usage I feel we made the right choice plus if the battery capacity diminishes over time, (10 year purchase for us) I can live with the lower ev range, or even consider a replacement battery pack depending on how well the rest of the running gear holds up.
Born Electric 3/3/15 i3Rex, Andesit, Neutronic, Park Assist, Pan Roof, 429 Turbine Alloys, Pro Nav, DC Prep, Sun Protection Glass
Audi A4 2.4 Cabrio, VW High UP
@30/10/16 Total 23638miles 22315/1323 95%electric/Rex 5% 124.61 L fuel 48.20 mpg (imp)

electricvirgin

Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:09 am

I also deliberated about the choice between Rex and BEV.

Until recently i made a regular return journey of about 56 miles, well within the range of the car even in winter, however a few months ago the motorway slip road i use at the end of my journey was closed for unplanned maintenance. Had i chosen the BEV i would almost certainly have been stranded, and it was raining! As it was i ran the rex for the last mile or so and got home dry.

However in over 12000 miles i doubt more than 500 or so have been with the Rex in use, but those miles have made the difference between the car working (for me) and not being satisfactory.

psquare

Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:02 am

I'll be setting off for another continental road trip this Sunday, Midlands (UK) to Amsterdam to Germany and back. Roundtrip around 900 miles, I'd say.

The charging network in the UK is good. NL's FastNed is great. But Belgium and -especially- France have larger CCS gaps and don't always tell me whether they're available or not.

Without the REx, I would probably get a plane to Amsterdam and then rent an ICE to go to Germany and back. Or I would do the whole trip in a Diesel.

jadnashuanh

Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:39 am

While I find my i3 is comfortable for me running around, I do not find it overly comfortable on a longer trip, so even if it could go further, I would not want to, which is why I kept my other car. I realize not everyone can justify that, but for me, even if there were reliable CCS units along my route, it would not be my first choice for a longer road trip, REx or not. It's hard enough to find a L2 EVSE, let alone a CCS unit at places that would be convenient. WHere you live can make a huge difference. I'm hoping that sometime in the future, a serial hybrid, maybe the i5, would provide my EV running around town, and long distance travel in one vehicle, but only time will tell. In the interim, I've not been inconvenienced by my BEV, but being retired, I get to pick and choose not only the time, but the places I want to be. Everyone's situation is different. But, for many, the REx option is mainly for relieving anxiety. Because they have it, they make plans accordingly, but I do the same thing with my BEV and saved the cost and maintenance.
Jim DeBruycker
2014 i3 BEV, 2021 X5 45e
(The i3 will be sold soon, <17K-miles, interested?)

i3marc

Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:55 am

22 k pure electric miles and I optimized my long commute (103 miles each way) to run within 10 miles of an empty charge.

Not doing it anymore but I racked 1400 miles a week for 4+ months after I got the car in March.

I guess some of us like to live dangerously.
BMW i3 2014 BEV
Solar Orange

http://superiorev.blogspot.com

i3Alan

Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:16 pm

electricvirgin wrote:Had i chosen the BEV i would almost certainly have been stranded, and it was raining! As it was i ran the rex for the last mile or so and got home dry.
The REX is heavier then the BEV, and gets less all-electric miles. On top of that, the ICE turns on when the charge is down to about 6%. That is, when the ICE turns on, a BEV on that exact same drive would be expected to have at least 10 miles of charge remaining. If you only needed the ICE for a few miles, the BEV would have handled that trip fine, leaving you with a few miles or more to spare.

i3marc

Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:06 pm

i3Alan wrote:
electricvirgin wrote:Had i chosen the BEV i would almost certainly have been stranded, and it was raining! As it was i ran the rex for the last mile or so and got home dry.
The REX is heavier then the BEV, and gets less all-electric miles. On top of that, the ICE turns on when the charge is down to about 6%. That is, when the ICE turns on, a BEV on that exact same drive would be expected to have at least 10 miles of charge remaining. If you only needed the ICE for a few miles, the BEV would have handled that trip fine, leaving you with a few miles or more to spare.
As my personal (and extreme) experience has shown the BEV is just fine for any range within the one indicated by the oboard range indicator which is quite accurate.

A little bit of planning goes a long way, but nothing that a 5 year couldn't grasp using the GPS (and you have to be 16 to drive!).
BMW i3 2014 BEV
Solar Orange

http://superiorev.blogspot.com

I33t

Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:27 pm

Perhaps hybrid drivers drive further because they actually need to. Their choice might be based on a longer commute than can be managed by a current BEV. The elephant in the room is that many buy REX because they have range anxiety based on anxiety, not fact.

With my BEV, I have all the range I need. If I had a REX I would be driving the same distances. I suspect most BEV drivers would be similar.

So, for me, this is a totally flawed discussion.
2014 BMW i3 BEV deposit placed 19th Dec 2013
Delivered in Melbourne 4/12/2014. Arrived locally 11/12/14, with 24km on the clock.

jadnashuanh

Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:51 pm

I drive my BEV as far as I have a need. If I'm quite sure I'll need to go further, I take my ICE, but at that point, at least to me, the ICE ends up being more comfortable. The i3 is by no means 'bad', I have no problems with it in the ranges it can handle, but if I'm near the end of the charge in one trip, it starts to be uncomfortable, at least to me. I have no regrets 'just' having the BEV, and specifically did not want another vehicle with spark plugs, antifreeze, oil changes, or a muffler. Not to count the lower efficiency or the lack of the heat pump.

If I had a hybrid and did not have an ICE as well as my BEV, yes, I'd be putting more miles on the vehicle since in addition to all of the running around town I use my BEV for now, I'd not be switching to my ICE for my occasional trips. If a plug-in hybrid comes out that has the room and features I want with the all EV range I desire, I'll probably trade both my cars in on one. I don't expect that to happen for at least a few more years.
Jim DeBruycker
2014 i3 BEV, 2021 X5 45e
(The i3 will be sold soon, <17K-miles, interested?)

brorob

Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:50 pm

I chose the REx model for a few reasons, the first being my dealer in MI only orders these models because of the lack of public charging stations and since we have harsh winters that cut down the range. The second reason is because I need to drive 100+ miles occasionally and, as mentioned, public charging stations are very limited or non existent in my area. While I could have purchased an older BEV model from a dealer farther away, I liked the idea of driving the car on longer trips to cut down on emissions instead of using my wife's SUV for these trips.

I commute to work 22 miles each way and some days run errands during my lunch hour. During a typical week I only have to charge at work, which provides 2 level 2 EVSEs, the other used by a coworker with a Volt. If I have an appointment after work (drive home, pick up daughter, drive to dentist for example) then I use the range extender. Some weekend trips require the range extender also.

I've driven over 2100 miles and have used about 2 gallons of gas, some of this was used for the maintenance mode. So I've only driven about 3% with the range extender but it's been worth every %. I'm sure as soon as the winter weather finally arrives in MI, that percentage will increase.

So long story short, if I had the BEV we would drive our SUV for some longer trips, not utilizing 80 miles of electric driving. For that reason, I don't think this is a flawed discussion.

Return to “News and Main BMW i3 Forum Discussions”