BMW i announces ChargeNow DC Fast Expansion

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From "BMW of North America", 500 DCFC for US; and 0 nil zero, zip, zilch, nada for Canada! Strike two for Canada.

It is interesting that they are targeting DCFC in the city rather than highway corridor

Blue20 said:
From "BMW of North America", 500 DCFC for US; and 0 nil zero, zip, zilch, nada for Canada! Strike two for Canada.

It is interesting that they are targeting DCFC in the city rather than highway corridor

Where in Canada are you Blue20?

Wow, sucks I leased my i3 during the in-between period for each of the DCFC promos. I wonder why they limit it like this? Makes no sense.

Blue20 said:

I agree, fast charging makes more sense on longer trips. They should have started along I-95 and similar major routes. It is shame that EVs can't make a basic DC-NYC-Boston trip.

timf said:
Nothing near Detroit either. I doubt I'll ever get to use my DC fast charge port at this rate.

I've had my Nissan Leaf for 39 mos. and I have never used the QC capability. There are actually a few around here now, but I have never used or needed them.

websterize said:
"The program is open to customers who purchase or lease a BMW i3 on or after November 1, 2015." Oh, well.

That's what made me angry. "Screw you, customers who were helping BMW with the success of the i3 from the beginning until 15 November by buying an i3"

In our area, a purchase date before versus after 11/1/2015 will have a negligible impact on public charging options since NRG EVgo Level 3 charging is complimentary for a period of time following installation at a new location, since Level 2 and 3 charging stations are freely available at BMW dealerships, and since subscription charging stations (accessed using the BMW-provided ChargeNow card) are often complimentary when sited at a commercial location (check PlugShare comments for complimentary charging opportunities).

We have replenished our i3 battery using public Level 2 and 3 charging stations dozens of times and have yet to pay a fee.

Also purchased in the interim period one day after the previous offer expired. Any customers in the same boat who found a solution to being able to participate in the program? Free access to the charging network would be a big incentive to use the car on longer commutes.

I'm not sure why BMW would not provide this benefit to ALL i3 owners. I mean, relatively speaking, it's not a huge number of individuals! As an early BMW i3 adopter in May of 2014, and long-time BMW owner, I would like to see BMW show some love to all of us that helped get these cars off the ground in the US.

To-date, I do not have a DCFC close to where I live. Well, the closest one would allow me to charge and return home with little charge left. Now what's the point of that?

BMW4Me said:
I'm not sure why BMW would not provide this benefit to ALL i3 owners. I mean, relatively speaking, it's not a huge number of individuals! As an early BMW i3 adopter in May of 2014, and long-time BMW owner, I would like to see BMW show some love to all of us that helped get these cars off the ground in the US.

To-date, I do not have a DCFC close to where I live. Well, the closest one would allow me to charge and return home with little charge left. Now what's the point of that?

I think that actually is the point. DCFS are quick charges at the fringe of your range so that you can go out to the limits of your battery instead of reserving 1/2 your battery for the return trip. The only times I ever use dcfs is when I'm pushing the limit of the battery and making a trip that I otherwise would not have been able to make ok pure batt.

jhu321 said:
BMW4Me said:

I think that actually is the point. DCFS are quick charges at the fringe of your range so that you can go out to the limits of your battery instead of reserving 1/2 your battery for the return trip. The only times I ever use dcfs is when I'm pushing the limit of the battery and making a trip that I otherwise would not have been able to make ok pure batt.

Exactly.

I am so excited! This morning I went to a shopping plaza I know of that has Level 2 chargers. As I was driving by another strip mall that has a Whole Foods next door, the car was showing a station that plugshare was not. I walked to the Whole Foods and it was a brand new DC fast charger! Since I'd walked a ways to get there, I didn't move the car to try it (and I think the battery was at 60%)...but it is good to know we have one actually in this state that's not Tesla!

BMW4Me said:
...I walked to the Whole Foods and it was a brand new DC fast charger!...

So how about showing your location in your profile (left sidebar) so we know what part of the country is getting DCFCs?

Sorry!
The fast charger is located in Cranston, Rhode Island.
That's about 10 miles south of the capital city, Providence. And only about 10 minutes from the airport.

Back