Key Fob replacement- any lower cost option?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makiedog

I need to replace a lost key fob, our local dealer wants $430 for it. Is there a lower cost alternative solution? Thanks.

makiedog said:
I need to replace a lost key fob, our local dealer wants $430 for it. Is there a lower cost alternative solution? Thanks.

Other than shopping around to multiple dealers...no. Some dealers will sell them for around $200.

Some of the cars require the dealer to hook up the computer to the car to enable it to reprogram things to enable a new fob...that takes a little time, so it's not just the parts cost. The new one comes with the key precut for the car, which, on the type of key used, costs a bit in addition to the fob itself. Not saying the price correlates with the cost to make it, but it is what it is. I'm not sure if a fob on the i3 can be programmed in without the computer or not, so even if you got a fob elsewhere, you may need the dealer to get the car to recognize it.

What you DON'T want to do is lose both fobs, then you have to replace the computer, too. You think a fob is expensive?! You need a working fob to enable the computer to accept a second one.

I believe any new key would have to be reprogrammed at the dealer, so if they are willing to do that on a key they have not sold, you can explore that as an option. E.g. you can get a used key from Ebay for ~ $100. This will have the physical key cut so you would have to buy an uncut key from the dealer (if you want a working physical key) but that seems to be less than $50:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...4-I01-BMW_i-i3_Rex&diagId=41_2357#51217393289
http://thebmwminipartstore.com/part...89&make=BMW&action=oePartSearch&siteid=218365

Add to that the programming by the dealer and it can easily come to $250+ :(

Some of the BMW specific OBD II readers can program the car to a new fob...might be less than the dealer charges and then, you'd have a new diagnostic tool to play with.

Based on what I have learned on this site and experience, here a few important points:

You cannot buy a used fob for your I3. It cannot be reprogrammed at the dealership

If you order a key from BMW which will be matched to your serial number (VIN) you do not need to have it programmed. Unlock your car, put the original fob out of range of the car, and hold your new key against the icon on the right side of the steering column. After you press the start button it will be recognized

Thanks again to everyone who explained this on other threads.

I have two gripes. First, that people are selling useless keys on eBay for around $100. Luckily the one I bought was able to be "force returned" by PayPal because they advertised it as an i8/i3 key and it was an i8 key.

Secondly, many BMW dealers will try to charge you for coding your new fob to the car even though you can do it yourself in 10 seconds or so. That seems tacky and money grubbing for a high-end dealership. These high line makes brag about treating their "guests" like family. I wouldn't want a family member to pull something like that on me.

TedNW said:
I have two gripes. First, that people are selling useless keys on eBay for around $100. Luckily the one I bought was able to be "force returned" by PayPal because they advertised it as an i8/i3 key and it was an i8 key.

Secondly, many BMW dealers will try to charge you for coding your new fob to the car even though you can do it yourself in 10 seconds or so. That seems tacky and money grubbing for a high-end dealership. These high line makes brag about treating their "guests" like family. I wouldn't want a family member to pull something like that on me.
Thank you so much for the heads up about the eBay keys! You are a lifesaver.

I got concerned about this exact issue because I just I read this: https://unitedlocksmith.net/blog/the-dangers-of-aftermarket-electronic-car-keys

It kind of sent me on a tear to see if there were any scams for the i3 key. Never been so sad to see my paranoia so validated. :cry:

Thanks for the heads up on the programming as well. Do you have any resources or videos that explain how to do it yourself? Is there another thread on here that talks more about the process?

You don't really program the key. It's been covered earlier, you're pairing it to the car similar to a garage door opener, but just do this:
- unlock the car with your good fob
- take that fob and move it away from the car so it isn't being seen anymore and is out of range of the unlock function
- take the new one, place it perpendicular to the spot on the steering column
- start the car

your done.

Now, if you lost a fob and want it removed from the memory in case someone found it and tried to use it in the car...that would require the dealer to disable that one in the car's memory. But, if yours just died, that is not necessary. My dealer did that for me for free.

TedNW said:
Based on what I have learned on this site and experience, here a few important points:

You cannot buy a used fob for your I3. It cannot be reprogrammed at the dealership

If you order a key from BMW which will be matched to your serial number (VIN) you do not need to have it programmed. Unlock your car, put the original fob out of range of the car, and hold your new key against the icon on the right side of the steering column. After you press the start button it will be recognized

Thanks again to everyone who explained this on other threads.

So I simply purchase a VIN specific key at my local dealer and "program" it myself, right? Secondly, how much should I expect to pay for just purchasing the key at the dealer?

hi
I have a NEW in packageOEM I3S Body REX key for sale .. cheap. IT is fully legal and long story but shortest version would be: when I purchased my New Mercedes SLC AMG the truck carrier gave it to me. I called to return it but told to keep it.
You will have to take to your local dealership to have programmed.

Any Offers?
contact
[email protected]
or
(530)830-5005

sierrasurf said:
I have a NEW in packageOEM I3S Body REX key for sale .. cheap.
Aren't i3 fobs tied permanently to the i3 to which BMW initially assigned them? Can a fob assigned to one i3 be used by another i3? Can or would BMW reassign a fob to a different i3?

Back