Comfort mode

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barrychan

My wife has her own car so she seldom sit in the i3 but every time she's in it and said " the comfort mode is not very comfortable" and i went to investagate and realize the comfort mode should be called sport mode because the throttle response is very sensitive and it pulls, i found the eco pro mode is very comfortable because it doesn't pull like the other mode and that should be called comfort mode?

barrychan said:
My wife has her own car so she seldom sit in the i3 but every time she's in it and said " the comfort mode is not very comfortable" and i went to investagate and realize the comfort mode should be called sport mode because the throttle response is very sensitive and it pulls, i found the eco pro mode is very comfortable because it doesn't pull like the other mode and that should be called comfort mode?

I am one of the few here who will completely agree with you. "Comfort" mode is what is would call Sport+, 75% of the throttle action occurs within 1/2-1" of motion, which is insanely aggressive. My wife and I only drive in Eco Pro, which is a little more sane. But honestly there is a missing "comfort" somewhere in between the initially dead response of Eco Plus and the current Comfort.

I'd relabel Comfort->Sport+, change Eco behaviour to be slightly less dead and call it Comfort and use the now kind of useless Eco Plus to be the true Eco.

That and I wish the car would remember the mode you left it with each key. My wife sometimes forget to move it to Eco again and by the time she gets back complains about the drive.

I would think BMW would have default it to eco pro .....just like D on most car and if you want you can then switch to sport. ...comfort mode. Unless there's way to program it to certain mode?

There IS a way to program it to a certain mode, it is just one simple setting change you can make when coding the vehicle.

I currently have mine set to start in ECO PRO mode for the same reasons you all stated, but it can be set to start in any of the three modes.

Can't imagine why the mode is not one of the remote fob related saved settings. My 3 series used to annoy the pants off me for the same reason. I wanted it in Eco mode to drive most days but it kept reverting back to the normal setting which was called "Comfort" bizarrely.

TheNickGuy said:
There IS a way to program it to a certain mode, it is just one simple setting change you can make when coding the vehicle.

I currently have mine set to start in ECO PRO mode for the same reasons you all stated, but it can be set to start in any of the three modes.

That is good to know, I'll change mine. But that is way too obscure, this is something everyday users would want tied to the key fob. Or at least as a user setting. I can set whether I want orange or white ambient lighting but not my drive mode?

I would prefer EcoPro to be standard as well, but driving in Comfort has never been a problem in terms of the claims of 'insanely aggressive' or too sensitive on the accelerator for me. Perhaps some people have very weak foot control?

I can drive in Comfort with the same response as in EcoPro/+ - it's about foot control on the accelerator.

TheNickGuy said:

Is it in the manual how to change the setting?

barrychan said:
TheNickGuy said:

Is it in the manual how to change the setting?

You have to code your car to change default mode on startup.

TheNickGuy said:
Well, aren't you special.

lol.

I wouldn't think so. I do occasionally drive in comfort mode and I can drive without 'insanely aggressive' reaction to foot control on the pedal. It's perfectly possible to drive smoothly in comfort mode. I couldn't be the only one.

Have you tried?

I33t said:
TheNickGuy said:

lol.

I wouldn't think so. I do occasionally drive in comfort mode and I can drive without 'insanely aggressive' reaction to foot control on the pedal. It's perfectly possible to drive smoothly in comfort mode. I couldn't be the only one.

Have you tried?
When initially sold in the US (don't know about elsewhere), the regen was stronger when fully lifting off on the pedal. After the first hour, I had no trouble driving the car smoothly, but enough people failed to read the manual or weren't educated by their dealer on how things worked...it is NOT the same as a traditional car that people have been driving their whole life, and to some people, change is fought strongly by some. As a result, BMWUSA later the first year lowered the max regen available on the car to forestall those people's ineptitude to those that preferred the higher value.

It takes a little skill and some understanding, neither of which is particularly difficult to achieve, to drive the i3 to best effect as smoothly as any other vehicle out there, regardless of the mode selected.

I only ever use comfort mode as I find that a sensible driving style matches any efficiency offered in the other modes and I hate the sluggishness of the car in the other modes.

Same here...almost entirely run in comfort mode. While you can approach the efficiency of the other modes by your driving style in comfort mode, you can't as easily adjust the responses from the climate control system, so, at least in theory, you cannot achieve exactly the same just by being careful. Where I live, a/c or heat is often necessary, so I do not switch modes. I average about 4.0miles/kw, about the fleet average. The worst it gets is on a really hot day when I tell it to keep the climate control running while I stop and run an errand in the store. I've seen just under 6miles/kw on occasion, but not regularly by any means. I rarely use the brake pedal, so my miles/kw on regen is often quite high - meaning, coasting a lot to a stop verses regen slowing me down.

Just been reading through the new online manual for my car which I haven't got yet!

The manual implies that the driving mode is now a key fob specific profile setting. I am hoping this means it will stick when you set it to something other than comfort! At least in UK anyway.

I33t said:
TheNickGuy said:

lol.

Have you tried?

Yes, of course, and it is possible. I do know what you mean, I just need the added range that ECOPRO delivers, so I coded mine to prevent myself from having fun as easily...!

Cheers, mate.

Back