Best home charging option/box in UK

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ki3

Hi all
Just pressed the button on a 94 i3 and now looking at options for home charging.
I will need to charge most nights and would like to understand what are the quick charge options - i had a demo for a week and the slow charging from the normal socket drove me mad.
Basically, whats the quickest way of charging at home - which company to install which box, and how much will it all cost.
Thoughts and advice appreciated.

The best you can do at home is a 240v 32A EVSE as long as your household power supply can handle it. Most will.

Plenty EVSE's around if you do a search. Mine is a Emotorwerks Juicebox 40A EVSE. Works well.

I've got the tethered Rolec 32 amp from these guys http://www.chargedev.co.uk/. Cost me £330 and only took about 10 days to arrange it all and install.

Know it works cos I had a loaner on it. Hoping to pick up my car tomorrow afternoon. At last :D

As said previously, you need a spare 32amp capacity slot in your consumer unit and a dedicated line wired to the EVSE. You'll need an additional consumer unit if you have no spare slots.

Just looked at my consumer unit. All switches in there are used up. Is the extra consumer unti going to be significant cost/installation?

First check if they are all in use. A lot of houses have a dedicated immersion heater circuit and many are never used so perhaps an option.

They only quoted about £50 from memory. Take a look around their website cos I think they used to have a price list for non standard installs.

They do the survey by you taking pics of everything so worth a call first?

Ki3 said:
Just looked at my consumer unit. All switches in there are used up. Is the extra consumer unti going to be significant cost/installation?
Sorry, was out and about earlier so couldn't type much. When you say all switches used up, do you mean all the installed switches have a purpose or all the slots in the unit are full?

Blanking plates are used to cover spare slots on newer consumer units so whilst it may look like all the available switches are in use, there may be capacity to install more.

I also used http://www.chargedev.co.uk . Very good service. They came on Friday, and charged me £50 extra for a smaller Consumer Unit as all my slots were taken. Total cost was £249 for the install after the Government Grant was taken off.

Very neat installation, with no exposed wires inside or outside. They checked it with the Rolec tester, so, hopefully, when my 94ah arrives on Friday, I will be good to go.

I33t said:
Need photos :mrgreen:

UktmhIX.jpg

One of the pictures I sent to Charged EV with the ICE in the way.

a9eZVUa.jpg

A bit closer, again before installation.

gW0mnKf.jpg

Ta-da!

That's all I have at the moment. I will take more on Friday with my i3 hooked up to it...

This is v helpful thanks. Ill be speaking to recommendations shortly. Im told i need an order confirmation from the lease company first so will get that sorted.
Have to admit not been this excited about ordering a new car for a long time - going to be a totally different way of looking at commuting!

Back