freeewilly

Re: The Honeymoon is Over - Lease Near An End - BEWARE!

Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:23 am

These tires are rate it at UTQG: 440, so should it be covered under manufacture warranty ?

i3marc

Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:42 pm

I personally prefer to buy outright... an EV is eternal like a fridge and mechanically simpler. If you don't wreck it it will last 50 years.

Maybe the i3 is overpriced but its quality is good and now is the time when manufacturers spare no means producing EVs, to at least look decent.

Years from now crappy BEV that break will be the norm just like modern fridges last 1/10th the lifespan of one from 1960.
BMW i3 2014 BEV
Solar Orange

http://superiorev.blogspot.com

gt1

Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:49 am

I agree that an EV with a good battery management should last for a long time. LEAFs, especially the early ones had issues because they didn't have a large safety margin in the SOC and an active battery cooling. Extrapolating from what we see, the i3 batteries should last well beyond their warranty. The carbon body isn't affected by rust. There is a small, but expensive possibility of a failure in the power electronics.

Hypermiler

Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:48 pm

The rear tire wear is due to the factory setting of rather high negative camber rear. Top of tire is pointing inward as views from rear. If you want to significantly reduce wear, have your dealer dial down the negative camber in rear from -1.6 to the bottom of the values still allowed by BMW around (-1.2), and while they are at it, the front toe in to near zero, again within set limits for each side and overall. This will approximately double the life of the tires.

Jffkm

Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:33 am

In a similar situation and it sounds like a lot of people are experiencing the same issue. I am nearing the end of my lease on a lightly driven i3 Rex (11000 miles over a 30 month term (our commute is very short)). I live in Berkeley so it's never seen any conditions except dry, paved roads, and we had a newborn in that time period so we weren't exactly ripping around at max speed. The tires are all apparently worn down to the tread. The major issue I tried to bring up is that we experienced a flat, which was replaced by Weatherford BMW with OEM tires, LESS THAN 1,200 miles ago, and that tire has worn completely....there is clearly something wrong with the tires. BMW and Weatherford are denying any issues with the tires so they are making me eat the cost of the replacements for lease return. the maintenance on this car, if one were to purchase it, would be a nightmare. Cross shopping a bolt but may go with a used leaf to just get a good deal.

jadnashuanh

Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:14 pm

TO wear out a tire in 1200 miles, the alignment must be totally wacky, or, the brake caliper or a bearing is dragging. I'd also talk to a Bridgestone dealer.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV
Soon (hopefully!) A 2021 X5 45e will replace the above

rtanov

Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:38 am

I also think there must be something wrong with the car to wear a tire out in 1200 miles. I have close to 20k miles and 3 years on my REX - just put a winter set for the first time on that car (left over from my wife's leased BEV) and the original 19" all seasons have enough thread to last through another summer. I am driving quite aggressively but also checking the tire pressure with a gauge at least once a month, and keeping it in spec. We returned the BEV in April with 20k miles - all tires were good but they had only gone through ~10k miles - rest on winter tires.
2014 BMW i3 REx
2014 BMW i3 BEV - retired

stumbledotcom

Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:51 am

Sorry to disagree with the consensus of the thread but my experience doesn’t support the gloom and doom view. I returned my 2014 BEV in May. I live in a city with a short commute—12,000 exactly at the return. But I drive aggressively and my routes include extreme hills, tight corners, hard braking. My tire wear was within normal parameters. I had zero excess wear and tear charges.

As a point of comparison, we also have owned an 09 E90 since new. It is similarly low mileage; we’ll pass the 36K mark any day now. I’ve replaced all four tires on it three times. And those performance tires are approximately twice the cost of the i3 Ecopias.

gt1

Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:21 am

jadnashuanh wrote:TO wear out a tire in 1200 miles, the alignment must be totally wacky, or, the brake caliper or a bearing is dragging. I'd also talk to a Bridgestone dealer.
He said "1200 miles ago", so the tire had about 10k miles total. Still, too early. I'm currently at 16k, still have some thread. But I can't hope to make to the end of my 25k lease without new tires.

Kiwi

Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:45 pm

To save money buying an EV you need to be traveling high milage. Myself I cannot justify a full EV so a BMWe is the vehicle for me.
I've traveled 19,000k and 13,000k of this 19k was battery running. I've only had to buy petrol for 6k so the cost is minimal and to me it's not worth the extra money I need to pay for an BMW i3. Unless the new 2018 i3s drives a lot better.
My car tyres still look brand new and I do keep tyre pressure on my BMW's on the high side. Ride doesn't worry me with hard tires as I don't like a car that is too smooth riding.

Return to “News and Main BMW i3 Forum Discussions”