i3 Rear Tire not available until 2/15 (4 weeks!)

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauljohntaylor

This seems crazy for a car that does not have a spare and only one model available (Bridgestone Ecopia) - What is one to do if you get a flat and need a tire??? Waiting a month seems unreasonable!!! I have that gunk in the tire as a temp fix right now, anyone know how long that lasts? Any advice would be great. Thanks. --Paul

huh, that's gonna suck. I have to return my car in a week and at 15k miles they say the rear tires need replacing.

I'm sure they'll charge me $1000 for the priviledge.

pauljohntaylor said:
This seems crazy for a car that does not have a spare and only one model available (Bridgestone Ecopia) - What is one to do if you get a flat and need a tire??? Waiting a month seems unreasonable!!! I have that gunk in the tire as a temp fix right now, anyone know how long that lasts? Any advice would be great. Thanks. --Paul

iv left mine in for 6 for months got fed up replacing tyres for a puncture and still holding no loss of pressure.....

Here is what I am told by Weatherford BMW in Berkeley CA: yes, the original Bridgestone Ecopia 20" 175/55 R20 rear tires are out of stock nationwide, and at at least a month away from returning. However, as of this Monday BMW released a bulletin that Bridgestone is releasing a replacement tire in the meantime. I was unable to find out the difference between the original and the replacement, and frankly the whole thing sounds a bit dodgy. However, again according to this BMW dealer, the replacement cannot be mixed on the same axel with the original, so if you have a fatal puncture you must replace both rear tires with this replacement, and in order to sooth the blow Bridgestone will pick up the tab on the second tire. Sounds fair. I have a pair on order, being shipped up from SoCal, should be installed by the end of the week, for which I have a written estimate for $236.00 to "Replace right left rear tire per bulletin". Plus courtesy new & improved engine mounting bolt and software update.

I just had my car inspected by AutoVin as required by BMW FS before lease surrender. They say I have 6-7/32" on all my tires (which was in contradiction to the BMW dealer's inspection), but I'll use that as ammo to contest any charges.

Also, when I spoke with BMWFS prior to the inspection and stated I was going to raise hell if I had to replace the 440 rated tires after 15K miles, they seemed sympathetic and told me to wait for the autovin inspection before they could talk about waivers.

OK, so I got my i3 back today and the new replacement rear tires look to be EXACTLY the same as the old ones, so now I am confused, but not complaining, as I got 2 for the price of 1.

There has been a shortage of these for a while. My local tire shop has been trying to get a pair of rear 19" tires for over 2 months now. Meanwhile I'm driving in winter conditions on nearly bald tires. Good thing I have a backup vehicles for really snowy days.

At the rate these tires wear out, there should be more on hand.

if there is anyone in th UK want a rear i have one repaired in very good condittion and 6mm tread here for sale only £40 plus post

Back