i3 Tires - A disaster

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SFOi3

I have a year old i3 and both my tires on the left side developed bubbles. the dealer says its because I ran over some pothole or uneven surface. I live in the Bay Area and use this car to pick my 6 yr old daughter from school and drop her. the roads are near perfect I don't take the car off road or on any bad road. 1. I think the tires are weak to a level dangerous and can leave you stranded anytime. 2. if just some uneven surface can bust both tires for a year old car with a few thousand miles, something needs to be done or the car should be deemed dangerous to drive.

I did write to the company but they directed me to Bridgestone who is their vendor. Its like saying if the airbags are faulty, I should start talking to the airbag manufacturer. I find it funny. FYI, I have driven a car of this make forever, this is not my my first from BMW and also have multiple cars. Never heard of two tires going bust in one year over good roads.

SFOi3, please tell me which Bay Area you live in, because if "the roads are near perfect" then it must not be the San Francisco Bay Area that I live in, where the potholes have potholes, and driving is more slalom than schuss, and where the recent rains — hallelujah! — have turned cavities into fissures and depressions into sinkholes.

I have the same situation but its my passenger side front and rear tires that got bubbles after 1 year and 10k miles of driving here in socal. I tried reaching out to Bridgestone but they refused stating it was a road hazard issue and not covered under warranty. I've been driving for nearly 20 years on pretty much the same routes with my other BMWs and have never had a bubble--let alone two.

Fortunately, these tires are relatively cheap and I will be replacing them soon for peace of mind. Will be saving the receipt in the event a class action lawsuit against Bridgestone emerges ;)

+1 for bubbles in left front tire sidewall. No memory of hitting a pothole or anything other than normal road bumps. Replaced tire but kept tire that was replaced for ? I feel these tires are poorly made. I have not had a tire problem since the 70's until now. Feel Bridgestone should have warrantied and that pothole excuse is just that an excuse for poor quality tires.

Had 2 flats in 2 years. I think the the tyres are closer to bicycle tyres than car tyres!

Back