2018 BMW i3 Facelift Spied

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeS said:
Not interested if its just faster. What I want for my next EV is more range.

Thank you! What is with these car manufacturers thinking that people can/want to race around.

I am just looking to go to work and be able to get around with the family without having to worry about range.

And as much as I know that my car can make the trip, I still find I get a little bit of range anxiety. I just can't help it.

Plus, I think that range is the main thing keeping other people from jumping in on the electric car bandwagon.

Fix that, and you could be the next Tesla. (Though that company is also obsessed with speed.)

MikeS said:
Not interested if its just faster./quote]
Agreed!

MikeS said:
What I want for my next EV is more range.
The 120Ah Samsung SDI cells could be ready by then. That's only a 28% increase in cell capacity over the 94Ah cells, so the EPA range would likely not exceed 150 miles. 81 miles is sufficient for me, but occasionally a bigger cushion would be nice. For some, 150 miles would be fantastic.

With the Hyundai IONIQ already available with 124 miles and the Jaguar iPace and Tesla claiming 300 miles plus then BMW need to up their game. Otherwise, when this lease finishes I’ll be off!

I had to do a 250 mile trip to London and back yesterday. First time really that I have had to well exceed the battery range. I drove at 70mph for 100 miles where I normally stop for a break anyway. By the time I had grabbed some grub, a coffee and been to the loo, the Ecotricity pump had finished its 30 minute charge. Drove off with no delay and through all manner of traffic jams arrived at my destination, parked up all day then returned and drove back to my usual stop off on the way home. Same routine, coffee, food, loo and the charge was finished again.

On the way back there was a lorry fire on the motorway causing a 3 hour delay. Programmed Nav around it, spent a while in traffic and mostly barrelling along country roads until I rejoined the motorway and made it home.

I had still been suffering a small amount of range anxiety as I had not tried a long journey but I honestly can't see the big attraction of a 300 mile range now. I never drive 300 miles without stopping at least once (and possibly twice) so as long as I can charge when I stop then it's simply not an issue for me.

I spoke to a dealer principal last month about his Tesla. He loved it but made one obvious point against it. Everywhere he goes, he's lugging around half of a very heavy battery pack the he never uses :roll:

Ref the Tesla - I was referring to the 3 series so I don't think your comment will be so valid then.
In addition, I prefer not to rely on public chargers. I regularly drive in excess of 200 miles without an enforced break hence my desire for 300 miles. Until you can guarantee that a public charger will be available and working I would not want to rely on them.

Back