Replace standard headlight bulbs with LEDs

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie94bc

Does anyone know if it will be possible to replace the standard headlight bulbs with similar LED bulbs? Little bit gutted I didn't manage to get the adaptive LED headlights but this seems like the next best thing!

It will be possible to replace the standard bulbs with a brighter, whiter halogen bulb.

My guess is that to get an LED bulb would require the whole headlamp unit to be replaced and the on board software updating. This is definitely a question for your dealer!

Halogen lamps seem like a half decent alternative, I presume they're no more energy hungry?

If you can replace the whole headlamp unit I'll have the adaptive ones please ;) - Is that possible with other BMW models?

It really is a very odd decision by BMW to leave the old style bulb in the standard front headlights, I wouldn't have thought the LED bulb cost difference would have been huge.

jamie94bc said:
I wouldn't have thought the LED bulb cost difference would have been huge.

They are when they're an option. :D

This is a BMW after all. I think the option list is quite minimal compared to normal bimmers...

They're not an option as such! The difference is standard bulbs vs. adaptive LEDs.

I thought the options were done quite well, the standard equipment isn't bad - especially with the free navigation professional upgrade.

Another oddity is rear parking sensors as standard, would have only cost them a euro or two to add them to the front too?

I'll ask the BMW i "genius" service about the lights, I'd be surprised if they have an answer though.

Oh. I read in the UK price list that LED headlights are a 710 pound option.

What is the difference between std and adaptive other than LEDs?

LEDs appear to be standard in the US? Who knows what they will do here...

Yeah they were listed as:

5AK: Adaptive LED Headlights - £710
Featuring daytime driving lights with LED 'U' shaped BMW i design. Adaptive LED headlights improve visibility by following steering angle of the front wheels, giving better illumination of the road ahead through corners. Adaptive Headlights not active when car is reversing or when car is stationary and steering turned to offside, to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic.
Replaces 5A2.

5AK: LED light elements - Standard
Parking light, daytime driving lights in LED technology (14 heigh-power LEDs) with LED 'U' shaped BMW i design.
Not with 5A2 LED headlights with LED light elements.

By which I presumed the headlights on the base model were LEDs, wasn't until the more detailed reviews came out in November that I realised that wasn't the case - by then it was too late :(

Lets get clear on what "standard" lights are: halogen. The daytime running lights are LED and as an option in Europe the halogen main lights can be upgraded to LED. LED is a factor 5 more economical than halogen (to be exact 16% of the power needed to provide the same amount of lumen), so 100 Watts Hal. = 16 Watts LED.

i3me said:
Lets get clear on what "standard" lights are: halogen. The daytime running lights are LED and as an option in Europe the halogen main lights can be upgraded to LED. LED is a factor 5 more economical than halogen (to be exact 16% of the power needed to provide the same amount of lumen), so 100 Watts Hal. = 16 Watts LED.
The only option to change the headlights in the UK price list is 5AK, the adaptive headlights - there's no option to change the bulb type without going adaptive.

Atommad said:
It will be possible to replace the standard bulbs with a brighter, whiter halogen bulb.

My guess is that to get an LED bulb would require the whole headlamp unit to be replaced and the on board software updating. This is definitely a question for your dealer!
I presume you meant Xenon?

I looked at this question when speccing my i3 order. I discussed it with the salesman, and pointed out that LEDs were the way to go for economy of charge use. He rather surprised me by saying that the lights don't work off the main battery pack. He told me there is an ordinary 12v lead acid battery to run them. Seemed a bit odd, but he was insistent. Can't think why, unless there is a problem in down-regulating the traction battery voltage for low volt circuits. I suppose it's just possible that the cost and weight of the gubbins required to do this is greater than bunging in an ordinary car battery, but it doesn't seem very likely. :? :?

ChrisRayner said:
I looked at this question when speccing my i3 order. I discussed it with the salesman, and pointed out that LEDs were the way to go for economy of charge use. He rather surprised me by saying that the lights don't work off the main battery pack. He told me there is an ordinary 12v lead acid battery to run them. Seemed a bit odd, but he was insistent. Can't think why, unless there is a problem in down-regulating the traction battery voltage for low volt circuits. I suppose it's just possible that the cost and weight of the gubbins required to do this is greater than bunging in an ordinary car battery, but it doesn't seem very likely. :? :?
I believe that's the case with the Nissan Leaf too (you can get a spoiler with a solar panel to charge it) - http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=469

I think someone calculated the difference to be 1.2% of the total range if the lights were on constantly (and were running off the main pack). That doesn't bother me as much as the whiteness of the lights! I don't think the temperature of the light produced by halogens suit such a futuristic car :|

Actually I don't think that's true. From the BMW i3 press release:

The power electronics serve both as an inverter for the power supply from the battery to the electric motor and as a voltage transducer interacting between the high-voltage battery and the 12-volt onboard power system
Which would indicate there's no 12v battery (and the pictures in that press release seem to confirm that). Seems like the correct decision to me! Probably the same size and weight as another cell on the main battery.

I'm sure the heat pump is a much more significant benefit to range, it's probably a ~1kW resistance heater that gets replaced by a ~2.5x more efficient refrigerant cycle. Which saves ~600W and will really help keep your range up in winter.

Note the wattages are a complete guess but should be in the ballpark!

Didn't realise that!

You mentioned here that the heated seats and heat pump are now standard in Europe, does this mean I will get the cost for 4T9 and ZWT taken off my order?

On the UK price list the heat pump is not listed separately, its listed under "Cold weather cabin preparation" leading me to believe that the heat pump is required for cold weather cabin preparation?

The UK configurator still lists them as options for the full price... that said it still lists the navigation professional upgrade as free.

jamie94bc said:
Actually I don't think that's true. From the BMW i3 press release:

The power electronics serve both as an inverter for the power supply from the battery to the electric motor and as a voltage transducer interacting between the high-voltage battery and the 12-volt onboard power system
Which would indicate there's no 12v battery (and the pictures in that press release seem to confirm that). Seems like the correct decision to me! Probably the same size and weight as another cell on the main battery.

There is a normal 12V automotive battery in there, charged from the traction pack by a DC-DC converter. I saw it and asked about it at the NJ test drive. When the traction pack is disabled, something has to power the emergency flashers, the parking lamps, telematics etc. The ActiveE works this way, the Tesla Roadster and Model S work this way. Can't say for sure, but I'd wager the i3 works this way as well.

You can see the 12v battery in this cutaway. It's black with a silver strap holding it in place and in front of where the passenger sits:

attachment.php

jamie94bc said:
Didn't realise that!

You mentioned here that the heated seats and heat pump are now standard in Europe, does this mean I will get the cost for 4T9 and ZWT taken off my order?

On the UK price list the heat pump is not listed separately, its listed under "Cold weather cabin preparation" leading me to believe that the heat pump is required for cold weather cabin preparation?

I mentioned that the Heat Pump would become standard equipment in Europe, but as later stated, incorrectly!
The story for Europe is that the Battery Heat will become standard equipment but is now coupled to the Seat Heating.
The Heat Pump is a separate option and will remain that. Soon, the Seat Heating will also be a separate option and not coupled to the Battery Heater.

I fully agree that the heat pump has a large and positive impact on the range in Winter.

Yesterday we took our first "range limit" trip (103 km=63miles) to friends for the New Years celebration and to arrive were FORCED to switch to EcoPro+! Outside temp 6 celcius, speed first at 100-120 km/h (60-75 mph) and head winds at 5-6 Beaufort.
With EcoPro+ it gets REALLY cold in the interior, so the heat pump is an absolute must. I don't have it because of the BMW order muck-up :(
But I'll discuss this trip elsewhere, in more detail, fellow bloggers!

63 miles isn't encouraging but I presume that's due to the lack of heat pump. I thought BMW were quoting realistic figures (that supposedly Nissan didn't to begin with)?

I suppose if you have the HV battery pre-heat (which I do) then that's required for the "cold weather cabin preparation"? Or does it just revert to the standard heater if not?

Back