Wider 2018 Sport tires

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ted99

Anyone found out what the size of the new, wider rims will be for the new "Sport" version? Also, what size tire will be used? Hopefully, it's a size that has more than one manufacturer.

Everything you need to know and maybe more about 2018 i3's. A quick summary to your questions would be F: 5.5Jx20, 175/55R20; R: 6.0Jx20, 195/50R20, or ½ in and 20 mm wider.

On difference that I found disappointing is the i3s' 0.32 Cd (0.03 worse that the i3 BEV) and lower efficiency of 14.3 kWh/100 km (0.7-1.2 kWh/100 km worse than the i3 BEV). This is likely at least partially due to the wider tires (worse aerodynamics). Maybe the tires have a higher rolling resistance as well.

Ran those sizes on Tire Rack and "zero" results. So, they are going to be a single vendor again for replacements.

Will the tiers of the 2017 or the 2018 have possible little better tread life than the 2016 or prior ?
I am getting close to replacing my tires. Have a 2016 rex. Should i consider the 2017 tires ?
I read 2017 is heavier and the wheels are designed for heavier loads ?

EVMan said:
I read 2017 is heavier and the wheels are designed for heavier loads ?
I haven't read that there is any difference in 2017 wheels vs. those for earlier models.

There is a more heavy-duty version of 20" rear tires being sold by Bridgestone, but the former tires seem to be in short supply or maybe are no longer available. I haven't read about heavier-duty 19" tires.

As an update to this thread,

at least I ran the back tire now has a potenza option... just waiting on a hopeful front?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+S001+I&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=95WR0S001IXL&tab=Sizes

Technically if you had the normal 20" wheels you could run the back wheel up front with a 175 if you planned on getting those fender flares. I guess perhaps run two pairs of back wheels and some spacers in the rear? lol a lot of trouble.

FWIW, people that have tried to run the stock 5.5" wheels up front on an i3 destroyed them. Don't know what they did different on the sport model, but obviously, something is different. You need clearance both on the inside and the outside of the tire.

Where is the thread on that? Didn't see that. Perhaps the fender wall is different but, that could depend on so many things. On the new I3s, The track is moved out only 40mm which is about .7 inches each side / wheel. The fender flares are 20mm each side so the offset of the wheel wouldn't be too different. Perhaps / hopefully Bridgestone has updated the compound on the new Ecopias to be more resistant. (But tbh, most people are upset that their tires don't last more than 15k miles but; coming from a guy who enjoys sports cars on the side it's really not that bad at all.) Fingers crossed!

Someone tried to put the smaller winter tires on the stock, staggered wheels, and the shop put one of the rear wheels on the front...destroyed things. So, search on winter tires, or something similar. It might work with a different offset, I've not really looked into it. I have separate wheels for my winter tires, so it never became an issue (well, I suppose it could if I messed up putting the summer ones back on!).

There are higher Load ratings on 155 through 175 tyres now in 19" and or rear 20" of older i3. But 155/20" still 80.

Load index
80 155/20 450kg
84 155/19 500kg
85 175/20 515kg
86 175/19 530kg
88 155/19 560kg
89 175/20 580kg

Speed ratings also now available in T (118mph) not just Q (100mph)

The i3s top speed would require the faster tire (it's now over 100mph). FWIW, higher speed rated tires often have lower overall wear, or mileage compared to their lower rated version.

I have the 20" tires on my 2015 Rex with 9000 kms. I test drove the 2018 i3s Rex with the 20" but with the 195 width rears. The ride was much better on the i3s and was not as harsh (surprising as the i3s should be a HARDER suspension set up!). Road imperfections seem to be soaked up by the tires on the i3s whereas my i3 seems to transmit these imperfections through to the car's chassis with resultant creaks and small rattles. I am trying to ascertain if this is due to a different suspension set up and/or due to a new tire compound and/or due to the increased width tire. I cannot get an answer from BMW nor Bridgestone. Any input here?

jadnashuanh said:
The i3s top speed would require the faster tire (it's now over 100mph). FWIW, higher speed rated tires often have lower overall wear, or mileage compared to their lower rated version.

Can you please explain this more.
Which tiers will give maximum mileage and last longer ?
I need to replace my tires in 2016 Rex. They are gone in 15K miles. I am looking for loner life ones , and will goto costco for replacement as they should be the cheapest .

Heat is maybe the biggest uncontrolled enemy of tire wear (well, maybe alignment, given the same driving techniques). Going faster means more heat because of more friction, primarily because of the higher rate of flex as the tire rolls around and deflects. This generally means a need for a different tread and rubber compound and sometimes, stiffer carcass. Also, some of the higher speed rated tires come with a shallower tread depth when new, which helps prevent squirming and the resultant heat, but also generally means a shorter overall life before it gets too shallow for safety.

While not a perfect system, the rating provided on all tires sold in the USA will give you an idea of the relative life of any tire. You can look up the genesis of that rating, but it is based on a 'reference' tire's wear, which is rated at 100. Anything higher, such as say 400, means that tire should last 400% (4x) longer than the reference tire. This is not a guarantee of longevity, as who always drives like that reference?! But, it good for comparing longevity between numerous different tires.

The stock 19" tires have a Q rating, or a maximum of 99mph. The 20" are rated S, at up to 112mph. Running a tire faster than the rating will shorten its life and could damage it, potentially catastrophically. It's nice to have a little margin for error, but there are always compromises.

Both the 19" and 20" tires prior to those for the i3s are rated at 440, which, in the scheme of things is pretty good. You'd have to look at those on the i3s to see how they're marked...

I think you shouldn't install tires which are not allowed with the manufacturer.

You can check what sizes fits your car here: riepas That is Latvian tire webshop, but you can switch language to english by google translate.

Given size for 20": 155/60R20 (Bridgestone tires)

Hi all.

Just put 175/55r20 on front 20x5 and 195/50r20 on rear 20x5.5. No spacers. Clearance all around.

2015 BEV.

Tires replaced stock sizes with almost 12k miles and already to low depth of tread for safe operation.

The car drives a little quieter and softer. No noticeable drive train problems or issues so far.

The new size is T speed rated as well with higher load capacity.

Not pleased with wheel and tire options available for car.

A 17x6 or 18x6 wheel with proper offset is needed. Stock tire diameter and size is odd and I don't care for it.

For now my new tires for 20" wheels will have to do.

Hope someone can make some better wheel options.

It will take awhile since driving conditions and weather naturally vary things, but report back on what, if any, range impact you experience. My guess is that you'll see the range drop, but no idea how much. The tires are narrow for a reason on the i3.

In looking up those size availability - doesn't that put a Summer tread on the front and an All Season tread on the rear?

I put 175/55r20 on front 20x5 and 195/50r20 on rear 20x5.5 several months ago (2015 REx). I already had 15/20mm spacers front and back and kept them.
Temperature, driving style, and use of HVAC are way more of a factor on range than the increased tire size. I have not noticed any directly relate-able range decrease ... but to be fair, I don't drive for maximized range to begin with.

This set up is the stock set up on the i3S and both tires (175/55r20 and 195/50r20) are available in the Ecopia EP500 Summer tread. Easy way to look them up on TireRack is select a 2018 i3S - there is only one option.

I feel the car is much more planted with the wider tires and am very happy with the upgrade.

Back