Software Update

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rruotolo

Questions about updating the i3 software

I recently purchased a 2015 i3 BEV with under 7K miles. The software versions listed under System Information/Software Update/Current Version are:

MN 003.013.001
TN 003.013.001

Assuming that it has probably never been updated, I asked my local BMW dealer if the software update is free, given that the car is still under warranty. His responded with a question: "Which software was it that needed to be updated?"

I have no idea how to respond, other than "the software."

Any thoughts the following questions would be appreciated:

A. How might I respond to his question? Are there specific software modules?

B. Is it free (under warranty)? I read on a i3 blog that a BMW service bulletin informed dealers to do the software update at no charge. If that's the case, then I'm not sure why my service advisor would need to know "Which software was it that needed to be updated?"

C. I also read that the latest software will improve range due to an update to the regeneration logic. Is that true?

D. What is the latest software version number and what does it update?

Thanks.

Various bits are almost constantly being tweaked, but except for a few things since the car was released, there have only been a few that were 'required'. BMW's policy that I've experienced is that unless it is a general update/fix/improvement, they will only update the car if there is a problem that crops up, and then, generally, the car gets ALL of the modules updated. SO, unless you experience a problem that a newer version addresses, they don't arbitrarily decide to update your car on a whim.

FWIW, the telephone and user input/music interface, at least for part, can be updated by you by downloading data from the BMW website onto a suitably formatted USB drive. If you go to their website and put in your VIN, it will tell you the latest version of those modules available, and you can check the versions installed from the menu in the car.

To check the actual versions of the rest of the modules, save a profile to a USB drive, then look at the file with a text editor. The dealer can scan the car and tell if there is a 'mandatory' software update.

The original 2014 MY vehicles actually had a higher regen rate than after the update, but while I liked it, some had problems driving the car smoothly so they lowered the max, and changed the ramp up timing and level. That update also changed (or was affected by) how regen came on if you turned off the cruise control. Prior to that update, if it shut off, it was like you slammed on the brakes! I DO like that part of the change. That change also reworked how the estimated range was calculated...it didn't give you more range, but was more accurate in the process more of the time. Unfortunately, while BMW originally gave the dealers a list of things changed with S/W updates...they no longer do that and have not for over a year. As I understand it, they can put in a customer complaint, and get a response as to whether there has been a s/w tweak that addressed it, but not a list.

jadnashuanh,

Thank you for your informative response.

I downloaded my profile to a USB stick, and learned that my SW version is I001-17-03-502.

Unfortunately, I have no idea if my version is newer or older than the various versions I've read about on the interwebs, including...

15-11-502
15-11-504
16-07-501
etc..., as I've been unable to find a list of past and present version numbers to which I might compare my version number.

That said, I'd be hard-pressed to get pumped-up for an update that might make my regen whacky, as per your description. And, it must be said that I'm having zero, zip, nada, issues with my i3-BEV. However, I can't help by wonder if I'm on the latest version, and if not, if updating would fix some issue I've just not stumbled upon yet.

Any insights on decoding SW version numbers would be most appreciated. Could it be that the first digits are the year, followed by the month?

FWIW, I now realize that MN 003.013.001, TN 003.013.001 version numbers refer only to the phone and media software, which seems to be working just fine. The Connected Drive site (https://www.bmw.com/en/topics/offers-and-services/bmw-connecteddrive-services/mobile-devices.html) (which offers some updates for USB and Bluetooth interfaces) does not appear to offer any useful updates for the i3 (unless I'm missing something).

FWIW, my new favorite i3 usability feature is configuring a preset button to select my iphone connection, so that I can resume Spotify music via Bluetooth, without having to mess with the menu tree via the iDrive knob.

"He responded with a question: "Which software was it that needed to be updated?"

This dealer is a real tool and I wouldn't use him. I would send a complaint to BMW head office about this dealer.

These are technical updates and can easily be seen if required by the dealer logging into your key at service. They will also be able to give you a print out on the cars servicing history which should have been every 12 months for a service inspection which is nothing to do with milage.

If there isn't any 'general' update that is to be applied to every vehicle (that needs it), BMW doesn't update software to the latest unless there is a problem discovered by the user. But, as noted, the dealer should be able to tell you easily from the VIN if there are any 'required' software updates, and provide them for free. If one of those is done, essentially, everything is updated to the latest, not just the culprit that caused the issue for the customer. Also note, sometimes, when updating the software, you get a problem and a module must be replaced. This should be covered as well. Because the modules are being updated, the software for a particular car must be customized specifically for it. One car built one day may need different software to run it than one produced the next if there's a module update. SO, it's hard to say specifically what the latest version is for your specific vehicle, but the dealership can tell you based on the VIN. IOW, you won't get an update done for free unless it is to address a specific problem.

Kiwi said:
"He responded with a question: "Which software was it that needed to be updated?"

This dealer is a real tool and I wouldn't use him. I would send a complaint to BMW head office about this dealer.

These are technical updates and can easily be seen if required by the dealer logging into your key at service. They will also be able to give you a print out on the cars servicing history which should have been every 12 months for a service inspection which is nothing to do with milage.

That’s the impression I got, as well. My question, assuming the i3 probably needed an update was, “would it be covered under warranty?” His response: “Which software was it that needed to be updated?” was, at the very least, totally unhelpful. But in the context of the communication that preceded his question, the whole experience is a text book example of poor customer service, IMHO.

I originally met my BMW service advisor when I took my recently purchased pre-owned 2015 i3 to the local dealer because I was getting an “insufficient charge” warning every time I started it, even with the battery fully charged.

After more than an hour attempting to diagnose the issue, they said they couldn’t replicate the warning; that I’d need to leave it for a few days; and that the next service appointment with a loaner was three-plus weeks out. Ok, fine. I made an appointment and waited patiently while the insufficient charge warnings continued, unabated.

In the interim, on my own, I found a blog post on how to fix this very issue (by changing the default preferred charging location to one that is in range). DUH!

A few days prior to the appointment, I let my BMW service advisor know that the problem was solved, and that he should cancel the appointment and loaner. Thank you very much, I wrote.

I then asked my question about the potential cost of any required software update.

His one-line response, “Which software was it that needed to be updated?” neglected to acknowledge (let alone appreciate) that I’d thought to cancel the appointment and loaner. Nor did he acknowledge that I’d solved an issue they should have been able to (but didn’t) solve quickly and easily on my first (and probably last) visit, and that I shared the blog post, so that they might help the next i3/i8 owner with the same issue. And FWIW, I’ve received no follow-up from my BMW service advisor, since then. It’s beeen over two weeks since he posed his (tool-like?) question back to me.

I hope the other local BMW dealer is a smidge more knowledgeable about BMW EVs, and a smidge more professional on the customer service front.

jadnashuanh said:
If there isn't any 'general' update that is to be applied to every vehicle (that needs it), BMW doesn't update software to the latest unless there is a problem discovered by the user. But, as noted, the dealer should be able to tell you easily from the VIN if there are any 'required' software updates, and provide them for free. If one of those is done, essentially, everything is updated to the latest, not just the culprit that caused the issue for the customer. Also note, sometimes, when updating the software, you get a problem and a module must be replaced. This should be covered as well. Because the modules are being updated, the software for a particular car must be customized specifically for it. One car built one day may need different software to run it than one produced the next if there's a module update. SO, it's hard to say specifically what the latest version is for your specific vehicle, but the dealership can tell you based on the VIN. IOW, you won't get an update done for free unless it is to address a specific problem.

Again, thank you for such a thorough response.

Please let me know if you happen to be aware of any known issues I should watch for on my 2015 i3-BEV. Assuming it’s not already on the most current software version (for its VIN), I’d like to know what I might need to bring to the dealer’s attention, which may or may not lead to a software upgrade. Thanks.

I asked my dealer last month to up date the cars map as the car has 3 free map updates every year for 3 years but he told me it wasn't included with my car. Once I showed him BMW's iPhone app which shows the free mapping updates for my car he soon changed his view and updated the map for free. You do need to be armed with all the cars information when you take your car in for servicing.

It's my understanding that map updates is a market by market decision by the distributor...IOW, it's not free everywhere. Now, BMWUSA has said that on vehicles with LTE connections (only the newest), map updates will become OTA, free updates, but it is not available on many models (yet).

MikeS said:
Where in the iphone app do you see info about map updates?

Sorry its on your computer using your "BMW Connected Drive" then "service" which shows all the cars paid services and when they expire.

https://www.bmw-connecteddrive.co.nz/app/nz/index.html#/portal

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but my 'out of warranty' 2014 BMW i3-REx is showing "service required." I am loath to take the car in.
  • software update with 'poison pill'
  • cost - many ordinary tasks like brake fluid replacement have high costs
Recently, Bjørn Nyland did a YouTube video on a BMW i3 decrease in charging rate, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMLlBevkeEY&t=0s. Sorry to sound paranoid but one of the things EVs bring are a significant reduction in service visits. Embedding a 'poison pill' to trigger service calls remains a paranoid fear.

I had always planned on going self-maintenance after the warranty expired. First off, I like working on my cars but I also like to do enhancements. So how do owners find out what versions might be lurking for our 2014 BMW i3-REx?

Bob Wilson

bwilson4web said:
Sorry to resurrect this old thread but my 'out of warranty' 2014 BMW i3-REx is showing "service required." I am loath to take the car in.
That "Service Required" notice is likely a standard time-based notice that it's time to have the engine oil and brake fluid changed.

bwilson4web said:
software update with 'poison pill'
Performing a system software update is a time-consuming process that BMW dealers won't do unless an update fixes a known problem that you complain about. Being out of warranty, you'd need to pay for the update (hundreds of dollars). So I wouldn't worry about your BMW dealer installing updated system software without your permission.

bwilson4web said:
cost - many ordinary tasks like brake fluid replacement have high costs
No need to take an i3 to a dealer for routine maintenance unless you are unable to perform these tasks or no independent mechanic would.

bwilson4web said:
Recently, Bjørn Nyland did a YouTube video on a BMW i3 decrease in charging rate, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMLlBevkeEY&t=0s. Sorry to sound paranoid but one of the things EVs bring are a significant reduction in service visits. Embedding a 'poison pill' to trigger service calls remains a paranoid fear.
I think you are being needlessly paranoid about system software being updated without your knowledge.

However, as a 2014 BEV owner, I am a bit paranoid about the existing BMS software reducing the usable battery pack capacity without my permission in order to minimize the probability that BMW would need to replace our battery pack under its capacity warranty. The fact that older ISTA+ versions are able to reset parameters that increase the usable capacity even temporarily is evidence that existing BMS software is mucking with the usable capacity even without a software update being installed.

bwilson4web said:
I had always planned on going self-maintenance after the warranty expired.
Same here. I plan to get something that will allow me to change the brake fluid without needing an assistant to pump the brake pedal while I lie on the floor opening and closing the brake fluid valve on each wheel. Fortunately, I'll never need to replace engine oil and oil filters ever again.

bwilson4web said:
So how do owners find out what versions might be lurking for our 2014 BMW i3-REx?
Back up your driver profiles to a USB flash drive using an iDrive command. Then insert the USB drive into a computer and open one of the profile files in a text editor. The system software version is the value of the <i-step> tag:

<i-step>I001-18-11-520</i-step>

"18-11" indicates that this is the November, 2018, version. "520" seems to be a sequence number, subversion, or maybe an indication of BEV vs. REx.

Thanks,

Oil changes are easy and I don't a problem doing the brake fluid either (I have a brake bleeding hand pump.) I still want to drain and replace the transmission oil and have it tested.

Resetting the time-based, alarm, was covered once in the past so I'll need to look it up again.

Bob Wilson

Back