BMW Extended Warranty Cost

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiomon

I was wondering if anyone knew the prices for BMW's extended factory warranty. I know they offer a Platinum and Gold option, and you can extend up to 7 years. Has anyone purchased these warranties? What pricing have you seen? I just picked up a 2014 Rex, and I am loving the car, but its been in the shop already for the fuel sensor, locking pin, and HV cable, so it has me thinking. I definitely want to keep the car at least 5 more years, so I am considering adding a few more to the BMW warranty. Thoughts and experiences?

I was told by my BMW dealer that they do not offer a 6 year/100,000 mile warranty on the i3. He said the longest they had was 3 years/65,000 miles, and that it cost $4,700! I was floored. Then he started talking to me about leasing a new i3. I'm a school teacher. I don't make a lot of money. I buy used cars and keep them for 5 to 7 years. I bought a used 2014 REX i3 in September. I bought it because I thought it would be a better car than a Nissan Leaf. Now I'm not so sure. Did I make a mistake?

$4700 is a hell of a lot of money for 3 year extended warranty. You would have to be very unlucky having to spend this kind of money over 3 years. How does it work out $$ owning a car for five years or leasing over 5 years

Benagami said:
I buy used cars and keep them for 5 to 7 years. I bought a used 2014 REX i3 in September. I bought it because I thought it would be a better car than a Nissan Leaf. Now I'm not so sure. Did I make a mistake?
I usually, but not always, buy used cars and keep them more than 15 years unless they become expensive to maintain or no longer meet my needs.

We bought our 2014 i3 BEV new because no used EV's that met our needs were available in 2014. With its corrosion-free construction and upgradable battery pack, it could be another long-term car for us. Even though our i3 has been reliable, it has had some expensive defective parts replaced under warranty (the KLE which we knew was defective when we bought our i3 and the defective motor mount bolt which has not completely fixed the poor motor mount design in early i3's). Our general 4-year warranty expires in November, 2018, so we will have to decide whether we want to risk keeping our i3 out of warranty because BMW parts and repairs can be very expensive. I'm not aware of another EV that meets our needs as well as an i3, so I don't know what a replacement EV would be other than a used i3. If the prices of used 2017 BEV's drops considerably with the introduction of a longer range 2019 i3 BEV, we might consider replacing our i3 with a used 2017 i3, but the financial cost would likely be prohibitive. We certainly won't buy a very expensive extended warranty, though.

It's a bit early to decide that those of us who have purchased i3's made a mistake. At least, you don't have as much invested in your i3 as we have in ours, so you have less to lose. On the other hand, our simpler BEV model seems to be more reliable than your more complex REx model, so I would feel more nervous had we bought a REx. It's discouraging to read about 2017 REx's suffering the same problems as 2014 REx's which suggests that BMW has been unable to fix these problems after more than 3 years.

The warranties on the earliest 2014 U.S. REx's are beginning to expire as they have already in many markets that have shorter warranties (e.g., many European countries), so I am already looking for accounts of very expensive repairs. So far, I haven't read about very many, but in this U.S.-based forum, we don't read about the experiences of many i3 owners in other markets.

alohart said:
Benagami said:
I buy used cars and keep them for 5 to 7 years. I bought a used 2014 REX i3 in September. I bought it because I thought it would be a better car than a Nissan Leaf. Now I'm not so sure. Did I make a mistake?
I usually, but not always, buy used cars and keep them more than 15 years unless they become expensive to maintain or no longer meet my needs.

We bought our 2014 i3 BEV new because no used EV's that met our needs were available in 2014. With its corrosion-free construction and upgradable battery pack, it could be another long-term car for us. Even though our i3 has been reliable, it has had some expensive defective parts replaced under warranty (the KLE which we knew was defective when we bought our i3 and the defective motor mount bolt which has not completely fixed the poor motor mount design in early i3's). Our general 4-year warranty expires in November, 2018, so we will have to decide whether we want to risk keeping our i3 out of warranty because BMW parts and repairs can be very expensive. I'm not aware of another EV that meets our needs as well as an i3, so I don't know what a replacement EV would be other than a used i3. If the prices of used 2017 BEV's drops considerably with the introduction of a longer range 2019 i3 BEV, we might consider replacing our i3 with a used 2017 i3, but the financial cost would likely be prohibitive. We certainly won't buy a very expensive extended warranty, though.

It's a bit early to decide that those of us who have purchased i3's made a mistake. At least, you don't have as much invested in your i3 as we have in ours, so you have less to lose. On the other hand, our simpler BEV model seems to be more reliable than your more complex REx model, so I would feel more nervous had we bought a REx. It's discouraging to read about 2017 REx's suffering the same problems as 2014 REx's which suggests that BMW has been unable to fix these problems after more than 3 years.

The warranties on the earliest 2014 U.S. REx's are beginning to expire as they have already in many markets that have shorter warranties (e.g., many European countries), so I am already looking for accounts of very expensive repairs. So far, I haven't read about very many, but in this U.S.-based forum, we don't read about the experiences of many i3 owners in other markets.

5 year warranty, 3 years unlimited milage full servicing and 8 year battery warranty is standard on all BMW's in New Zealand.
I've been looking since 2016 to buy an i3 but cannot justify the expense compared to my BMW 225xe which has traveled 15,000k using it's 41k battery and 7,000k using its petrol engine. If the battery fails after 8 years I have a full petrol engine to use but properly will replace the car well before the 8 years. It's a shame BMW America doesn't sell the 225xe.
I will test drive an i3s but not a rex as it's slower and I would never use the rex engine as I have my 2 series convertible for longer trips which is not very often.

Back