Milam

Re: Any one here ordered a Tesla Model 3?

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:41 pm

Ordered a Model 3 about a year ago.

It will be at the end of 2018, at the earliest,

Good news. This will give them time to make a
better product.

I currently have an i3 RES. 2ns electric car.

noxon

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:19 pm

I've had an i3 BEV for about two days and a Model 3 reservation since March 2016. I love the i3, but the Model 3 will let us get rid of our last gas-powered vehicle.
2015 i3 BEV w/ Giga & Tech
2018 Tesla Model 3 Waiting Slip
12.35kW Tesla Solar with 40.5kWh Powerwall Storage

jadnashuanh

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:43 pm

There are a bunch of superchargers out there, but if you stray off the beaten path, it can take forever to recharge one. If you can live with planning your trip with those limitations, and can live with a 45-minute delay or longer to recharge at their convenience verses yours, it can, and does work. IMHO, a hybrid may make more sense for an 'only' car...'recharge' it at the gas pump in minutes.

Sometime in the future, the prototype 350Kw DC fast charge systems (or maybe even larger) may start to show up, but unless the government decides to be more helpful with the concept, lots of luck! Europe is planning on building a network...we have trouble getting a decent network of the smaller units most cars can use today.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

Kiwi

Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:49 pm

theothertom wrote:I agree about the display but hopefully Tesla 3 has some sort of collision avoidance sensors/software, for pedestrians and other objects.
So much for crash avoidance.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/23/1692 ... estigation

noxon

Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:49 am

theothertom wrote:So much for crash avoidance.

This problem is not unique to Tesla. The i3 has exactly the same issue with ACC. My i3 tried to slam into the back of a car yesterday in exactly the same kind of situation. I was doing my job as a driver and paying attention, so there was no collision.

Kiwi

Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:10 pm

noxon wrote:
theothertom wrote:So much for crash avoidance.

This problem is not unique to Tesla. The i3 has exactly the same issue with ACC. My i3 tried to slam into the back of a car yesterday in exactly the same kind of situation. I was doing my job as a driver and paying attention, so there was no collision.
Did you notify BMW as this is a huge mistake by ACC and should be investigated by BMW. I would never be able to trust ACC again.

noxon

Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:21 pm

Kiwi wrote:Did you notify BMW as this is a huge mistake by ACC and should be investigated by BMW.
The i3's ACC is a very primitive system. Most of these kinds of systems cannot detect stationary objects. They expect the driver to ... drive.

jadnashuanh

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:33 pm

The i3's ACC is very basic, and is only a problem if the driver isn't doing his job! It is an AID to the driver, not a substitute for one. Anyone not actively driving their car while using it is either very misinformed, or stupid. It can and does detect SOME situations that could be problematic that might occur while the driver has a moment of inattention, but it cannot and should not be expected to drive itself safely as presented and discussed in the operator's manual (which few people actually read!).

The system in the Tesla has MANY more sensors, and is touted to be able to do more...much more than the system in the i3 claims. It does what it says it will in the manual. But, the driver has the ultimate responsibility of driving the car. It will be awhile before a system is certified to be able to drive itself anywhere.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

alohart

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:56 pm

Kiwi wrote:Did you notify BMW as this is a huge mistake by ACC and should be investigated by BMW. I would never be able to trust ACC again.
I almost always drive with ACC on and always monitor the instrument panel when driving. When ACC detects a vehicle ahead, a red car icon is displayed in the top center of the instrument panel. If we are approaching a vehicle ahead and the red icon does not appear when I know that it should, I disconnect ACC and take over driving. This has happened twice since we purchased our i3 in 2014, so it's no big deal.

Drivers should only trust themselves. There is no driving assistance technology that is 100% trustworthy yet. The failure to detect an object ahead is not "a huge mistake by ACC" that "should be investigated by BMW". The huge mistake would be a driver who trusts ACC or any current driving assistance technology so much that he does not pay attention to driving. Several such drivers have been killed because of their erroneous trust in Tesla's Autopilot which, like ACC, is only a driving aid.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

Kiwi

Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:07 pm

Poor build and safety on the Tesla 3

https://youtu.be/QCIo8e12sBM

Return to “News and Main BMW i3 Forum Discussions”