Kiwi

Re: Any one here ordered a Tesla Model 3?

Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:06 pm

If you yell to much how great a car is like the Tesla Cult your will fall.

"California makes every car company that tests autonomous cars on the state's roads release a report each year. The reports came out for 2017 and Tesla is mysteriously absent.

It claims it did not test any cars in California last year. This is intriguing. Tesla's offices are in California and its car manufacturing plant is in California. It tested autonomous cars on the road in that state in 2016. Why stop in 2017?

Tesla CEO Elon Musk is not usually reluctant to boast about progress. His social media is full of claims and boasts about how fast Tesla (and his other companies) are going. Tesla claims it is still doing testing, just not in California. It raises a question: if Tesla is choosing to do its testing in a place where it doesn't have to report its results, does that suggest it is proud of its progress?"

jadnashuanh

Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:28 pm

For those that may have seen the Monroe (sp?) teardown review of the i3, he was gushing about the novel, interesting, and quality of the build. His assessment was that, unlike almost all (if not all) other EV startup models, he believed BMW did make money on the i3. Tesla hasn't consistently ever made any money, and is still bleeding huge quantities. They have the higher per car warranty costs of any manufacturer by a significant amount in most cases.

EV owners tend to overlook some things...IMHO, Tesla isn't there yet. For what it is, and I readily admit it's not the same as the model 3's intended use, the i3 is a 'finished' product...buying most any Tesla is buying into their hype and an advanced prototype, not a finished car. The i3's capabilities may not coincide with your needs or desires, but if it does, it's a good vehicle. It has its quirks, but it's good.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

alohart

Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:30 pm

jadnashuanh wrote:For those that may have seen the Monroe (sp?) teardown review of the i3, he was gushing about the novel, interesting, and quality of the build.
Contrast that with Munro's initial assessment of the Model 3 prior to beginning its teardown.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

Kiwi

Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:08 pm

Tesla's sales are down up to 22% for last month. Just shows people are slowly coming to there senses of this cult supplier

wiredmeyer

Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:28 pm

I have an i3 BEV and a Model X. Got my invitation to order my Model 3 but am waiting for Dual Motor configuration. There is no question the Model 3 beats all competition at the dollar comparison, you would be crazy to buy anything else. However, a used BEV for under $15k is hands down the best bang for your dollar maybe ever. Several years from now when there is such a thing as a CPO Model 3 we will see if that changes. I would also like to point out that even with the build issues my X has had and there have been many, out of the 25 cars I have had it is hands down my favorite car ever and I plan on keeping it forever.

bwilson4web

Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:32 am

Kiwi wrote:Tesla's sales are down up to 22% for last month. Just shows people are slowly coming to their senses of this cult supplier.

Bob Wilson
20k/27k mi 2014 BMW i3-REx
10k/10k mi 2017 Prius Prime

Milam

Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:35 pm

I have a Model 3 on order.

Looking for it at the end of 2018.

Should be a nice car.
Will keep my i3.

Milam

Kiwi

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:33 pm

Tesla reveals 2017 financial results, records near $2B loss

Good luck selling or servicing a Tesla if the company goes out of business. You would have to be finically illiterate to buy into Tesla cult hype.

alohart

Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:53 pm

Kiwi wrote:Good luck selling or servicing a Tesla if the company goes out of business. You would have to be finically illiterate to buy into Tesla cult hype.
Should Tesla fail as a business, the remnants would almost certainly be purchased by other companies. Tesla has developed too much valuable tech to just disappear due to financial problems.

Many would say that one would need to be financially illiterate to buy an i3 due to its rapid depreciation and the rapid advancement in EV technology and competition. Yet many of us illiterates have done so. Apparently, there are still ~500,000 illiterates waiting for their Tesla Model 3's to be produced. Maybe they aren't so dumb after all.

You seem to have a real chip on your shoulder about Tesla. Were it not for Tesla, there would not be so many EV's being produced or planned by so many companies. All EV enthusiasts should thank Tesla for pushing the EV envelope and moving EV's toward the main stream.

That said, I would not buy one, but only because Tesla doesn't make a vehicle type that I prefer while BMW does: the i3.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

bwilson4web

Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:02 am

alohart wrote:
Kiwi wrote:. . .
That said, I would not buy one, but only because Tesla doesn't make a vehicle type that I prefer while BMW does: the i3.
I would add no BEV car has any allure to us. Plugin hybrid makes most sense today.

Bob Wilson
20k/27k mi 2014 BMW i3-REx
10k/10k mi 2017 Prius Prime

Return to “News and Main BMW i3 Forum Discussions”