rejedejo

Re: NON OEM wheels & tires (wider)

Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:19 pm

Those wheels don’t rotate front to back right? Even wear on the front and back tires? Did you get the dual motor 4 wheel drive version?

jadnashuanh

Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:14 pm

In the early models, with the staggered wheels, there were literally four different ones, so even discounting the F/R size differences, you couldn't swap them side to side either (and, the tires are directional, too). At least with the winter tires, you can swap F/R, but would have to remount them to swap sides so that the rotational direction was correct. FWIW, when they were delivered, the set had all mounted for the left hand side! Before I could take them home, the dealer had to swap two of them (came direct from BMW that way).

Wider tires are more prone to aquaplaning, and, if all-seasons, in the snow, won't have as much traction. Some cars give you lots of options, the i3 was optimized, and those options fell away without more changes.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

alohart

Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:02 pm

rejedejo wrote:Those wheels don’t rotate front to back right? Even wear on the front and back tires? Did you get the dual motor 4 wheel drive version?
Early BEV's (2014 - 2016?) with the 19" 427 pizza wheels had the same wheels and tires front, back, and on both sides, so its tires could be rotated conventionally.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

alohart

Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:09 pm

jadnashuanh wrote:In the early models, with the staggered wheels, there were literally four different ones, so even discounting the F/R size differences, you couldn't swap them side to side either (and, the tires are directional, too).
An i3's summer and all-season tires are not directional like some winter tires, but they do have an in side and out side. This means that the wheels could be moved side-to-side without remounting the tires.

Because in 2015, BMW started mounting the same wheels on both sides of the same axle, the rotational direction of the wheels must not be crucial. Therefore, I don't think rotating side-to-side would cause any problem and would tend to equalize rear tire wear since the rear tire on the passenger side seems to wear faster than that on the driver side.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

Gyrogordini
Gold Member

Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:25 am

So, it seems a sensible starting point would be to know the weight of each model of the standard wheels, and Tyres. I have not been able to find any stats apart from a 429 19” rim being reportedly 8.4kg.
Does anyone know what the standards weigh?
Pete
2015 i3 'Ian', the climate-friendly BMW - no stinkin' REx for me.

bwilson4web

Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:51 am

I paid for a four-wheel alignment about a month or in the first year so we're still using those settings.
alohart wrote:
bwilson4web wrote:So after 24k service miles, BMW reports the tread depth is 5 mm for all four tires. They fixed the slow leak and report all of the tires look to have even wear.
The results of your earlier alignment experiments seem to be working well. Please remind me what alignment settings you are using.
What is more remarkable is last Fall I had sidewall damage on the right rear tire so it had to be replaced. In effect it looks like no measurable wear (or someone didn't really do the measurement.) After finding all the error codes in the vehicle logs, my bet is on sloth over malice.

Bob Wilson
20k/27k mi 2014 BMW i3-REx
10k/10k mi 2017 Prius Prime

Clinkinfo

Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:16 am

So did anyone ever experiment? I think there are setups that theoretically work. We understand the BMW “optimal” choice is on the car already, but it would be nice to have more options and I’m not sure what difference some combos really would make. If it’s 50% loss of range, ok, not so good. But some of us would trade 5% for more grip and more options.

Anyone actually try anything different yet?

ted99

Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:12 am

I read a recent article saying that Michelin, among others, were beginning to develop more tires for EV's. The article specifically called out the greater weight and starting torque as challenges for EV tires (as well as energy efficiency). So, perhaps there is hope for another manufacturer for tires for the i3. Getting to be more than a few on the road in Europe.
Rex, Gigaworld, Capparis White, Juicebox

benrk

Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:46 pm

As far as alternate tire choices, there actually are a few, just for the most part not offered in North America (allthough the US is the biggest market for the i3?!)

Here’s the link to the 155/70/19 (selected through the vehicle menu, these are intended for i3) choices on Germany’s biggest online tire dealer:
https://www.reifendirekt.de/cgi-bin/rsh ... _a=6993373#

while the US online shop of the same company (Delticom) shows nothing but the usual suspects:
https://www.tires-easy.com/tires/155-70 ... model=true

tongsli

Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:29 am

I would love to add more rubber (taller tire) for the comfort and other tire purchasing choices. I don't care about the width but something that isn't as low a profile as what we have now. If you use tire rack's tire comparison tool, it will show you what brands and tires are available in the different sizes and configurations.

Return to “News and Main BMW i3 Forum Discussions”