Buying Used, Out of Warranty i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benagami

I love my i3, sadly it goes out of warranty in a couple months. I've been freaking out reading about drive train errors, check engine light errors, and sheared engine mounting bolts, as well as worn/popping tires, an eggshell of a windshield, glass rear end that can spontaneously shatter, and the outrageous amounts of money that BMW charges for repairs. It makes no sense for me to pay $4,800 for an extended warranty when that's about 1/3 of what my car is worth, and the warranty is only good for 3 years or 50,000 miles.

I test drove a Bolt and it was not the same experience. A lot of road noise, almost no refinements, and overall, not as pleasant a driving experience as the i3.

Blue book on my car is around $15,000. Here's the good news, the junk yard will pay me almost $10,000! That means if the car won't even start, I can still get almost $10,000 for it!

I'm gonna keep her.

Benagami said:
It makes no sense for me to pay $4,800 for an extended warranty when that's about ⅓ of what my car is worth, and the warranty is only good for 3 years or 50,000 miles.
You haven't added your location to your profile, but it appears that you live in the U.S. If so, your warranty is for 4 years/50k miles, so you have an additional year that you might not be aware of unless "3 years" was a mistype.

The manual shows that the REX comes with a 15 year 150,000 mile warranty in USA because of Federal Emissions standards for the "Auxiliary Power Unit". Does the APU refer to the REX engine or something else?

The emissions warranty on most engines assumes proper maintenance is performed, but it doesn't cover that maintenance, only covers fixes when normal maintenance fails to keep it within specs. You'd need someone intimately familiar with the legalese to be sure.

Back