Regenerative braking around curves

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nyken

I've had my 2017 i3 Rex since December with about 4000 miles so far.

While I love the regenerative braking, I find it disconcerting when use regen around a curve. It seems to turn off and I have to use the brakes. An example is exiting a highway on a clover leaf.

Is this normal? Or am I simply taking curves too fast?

It's normal. Maybe Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) limits regen braking on the rear wheels during fast cornering to avoid creating instability. It would be interesting to learn whether the i3S' improved DSC behaves differently.

What is probably more dramatic is if you hit a decent bump while trying to slow down...the car uses (I think) both the steering wheel angle and maybe accelerometers to decide when and how much to modify the regeneration. I remember it being mentioned in the manual but don't remember the details.

jadnashuanh said:
What is probably more dramatic is if you hit a decent bump while trying to slow down...the car uses (I think) both the steering wheel angle and maybe accelerometers to decide when and how much to modify the regeneration. I remember it being mentioned in the manual but don't remember the details.

Yes! This can be a bit scary the first few times it happens, then muscle and repetition memory kicks in and you start to anticipate how the regen will react to different driving conditions as you encounter them.

I have experienced similar behaviour when slowing down and hitting a bump on the road.

The regen. braking "disconnects" and the car let loose for a second.

It's a very scary experience.

Heard from others, this is normal behaviour.

Yep, felt this repeatedly for the first time last week while 'pressing on' over a curvy downhill road. It is a bit a shock huh? In my case I was enjoying the ride and using the regen as I entered each curve, but once the lateral force became high the regen turned off. My guess was its SW so that the regen (rear drag) does not unbalance the vehicle too much.

Perhaps off topic but.. Not sure if there are other motorbike riders on this forum, but having some rear end brake on a bike as you enter the corner is a nice way to encourage the bike into the corner, so I was comfortable with the i3 rear drag, until it kept letting go!

Back