back-up camera question

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ociopia

I don't quite understand the backup camera lines. The green is pretty straightforward but the red "danger" lines seem to just disappear instead of warning me. Are the red lines useful or am I supposed to just watch the car outline image to the right and if the back part seems threatened, then realize I must stop?

Also, every time I put the car in reverse, that back up camera comes on, which is great. But it doesn't turn off when I put the car in drive unless I manually turn off the little button. That seems so odd. Can I set this back up camera to turn off when I am in drive?

Thank you.

The camera goes off after you've driven a little bit forward, but not immediately (maybe 50' or so?)...you should not need to turn it off manually. I think that's because you might be jockeying between F-R, and want to keep an eye on what's behind as you can see what's going on forward easily.

One set of lines show where you are going, the other shows where you could go at maximum steering wheel angle. Have you checked out any of the videos on the www.bmwusa.com website or read the user's manual?

jadnashuanh said:
I think that's because you might be jockeying between F-R, and want to keep an eye on what's behind as you can see what's going on forward easily.
That's correct. I've seen complaints from drivers of other cars that turn off the rear camera immediately. BMW considered that and designed the car "the right way".

What is really annoying is when you go through the car wash and accidentally hit reverse when putting it in neutral. Then the rear ultrasonic sensors are active beeping throughout the entire car wash. They seem to turn off above a specific speed.

viking79 said:
What is really annoying is when you go through the car wash and accidentally hit reverse when putting it in neutral. Then the rear ultrasonic sensors are active beeping throughout the entire car wash. They seem to turn off above a specific speed.

You can turn off the parking sensors using the button below the iDrive dial.

Back