eNate

Re: Pedestrian warning Noise , in reverse

Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:57 pm

alohart wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:30 pm

...I would have preferred for this warning sound to be controlled by the driver like a quiet horn that the driver could activate in situations where moving along slowly might endanger some people. Exiting down 2 floors in our parking garage with no one around and our pedestrian warning sound echoing off the garage's concrete walls, floors, and ceilings seemed excessive and unnecessary.

I wouldn't be so quick to assume that we can control decades of learned human behavior with the flick of a switch from the driver's seat.

If you think about how much we rely on our sense of hearing to navigate the world, you'll probably reconsider. Maybe the pedestrian you do see, walking down the parking ramp with his back to you, you would turn the warning on for. But the person you don't see, who steps out from between cars, maybe wrangling a kid or a shopping bag, is probably using audio cues just as much as vision to get a sense if it's clear to proceed. Same with the person who is walking behind a parked EV and looking / listening for the telltale signs of an ICE vehicle about to back out.

As a cyclist, I listen before changing lanes before looking to change lanes, because as a species we have a bad tendency of "steering where we look" and a lot of cyclists fall into this trap of looking over their shoulder to check for a clear lane and the bike subconsciously follow the glance -- it takes a concerted effort to continue in a straight path.

And, although a relatively small population of all of the pedestrians we encounter as drivers, the sight-impaired are especially reliant on their ears to pick up a nearby slow-moving vehicle.

The stats I've found from a 2011 NHTSA study are 37% increased risk of an EV vs. ped collision, 57% EV vs. cyclist, and a more recent European study by a group called Guide Dogs pegged it at 40%.

Hopefully as AI technology continues to advance, the spatial awareness systems installed in our cars can significantly reduce these figures, and maybe even control the operation of the AVAS. Until then, if our cars have to make a little noise, I can't find fault with that.
2 0 1 7   B M W   i 3   9 4 A h   B E V  O a k l a n d
 Wokeby Trunk Extension | Duosida 16A L1 EVSE
 SeaSucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack

EVMan

Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:19 pm

So in short, my i3 2017 USA model is not likely to have this hardware - correct ?

The sound which the Nissan leaf makes is quite pleasant, it is not disturbing, and gets the job done very well in my opinion
2017 33KWH Rex
Model 3 Long Range
Solar ToU Plan

jadnashuanh

Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:55 pm

I've not heard the i3's pedestrian warning sound. I know on the upcoming iNext, they said they spent a lot of time designing sounds for the thing and it appears that you can choose between them.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV
Soon (hopefully!) A 2021 X5 45e will replace the above

Busfolder

Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:02 pm

A couple of years ago I asked my BMW I dealer if the e-drive warning sound could be retro-fitted to my 2016 i3 REX.

He said it couldn't be done...

Of course, if it becomes obligatory, I'd expect this to change!

In the meantime, I just take extra care when driving at low speed when people are nearby, but a few folk do get surprised at silent movement...

Chris

jadnashuanh

Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:26 pm

Probably the more pertinent question to can it be done would be is it economically feasible. Also note that the region's corporate offices decide what parts and accessories they allow the dealers to order. So, assuming you could identify all of those needed, you'd probably have to solicit the help of someone overseas to procure them.

The main office in Germany takes the VIN if the vehicle ever goes in for service and if it needs a s/w update, it would overwrite any coding changes you may have made, so there's that, too. As built, if it's not there, the new code applied wouldn't have it either.

If this became a federally mandated thing for retrofit, that's a different story, but they don't seem to make that happen.

Someone may come up with a kit if there was enough interest, but many people like it being quiet, so I'm not sure what volume there would be for a kit.

There are fairly easy ways to add a sound when in reverse, and since you generally don't go fast, tying it into the computers so it would be controlled or limited by your speed wouldn't be needed...

But, since turning the reverse lights on in the car is a CANBUS signal, and not a simple 12vdc line you could tap, even that would be a challenge. You could probably get by with a trailer interface and use its backup light signal to turn a warning on. Uncharted territory.

Maybe it's easy...plug in the module, add a speaker...just don't know. Probably take some coding, though.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV
Soon (hopefully!) A 2021 X5 45e will replace the above

JohnWasser

Wed May 13, 2020 7:33 am

Here's a quick DIY solution: Wireless doorbell in the frunk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QUqz9hLI4Q

EVMan

Mon May 18, 2020 10:08 am

Agreed it should be switchable...
There are two things
1) it depends on where you live and if you park in schools, transit stations etc
2) ICE has this custom, when starting the engine, it has built in audio warning sign. it cannot be turned off. Over the years , this warning has become a expectation, that a car with engine on , may reveres . A quite car is unlike to reverse...
2017 33KWH Rex
Model 3 Long Range
Solar ToU Plan

MarkNo

Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:15 pm

I live in Canada and have a 2020 i3 BEV and it came standard with the pedestrian warning system, and yes, it also works when in reverse.

Return to “News and Main BMW i3 Forum Discussions”