Pedestrian warning Noise , in reverse

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVMan

Is there a pedestrian warning sound possible , while in reverse , or low speeds , in the i3 ? like in the leaf
Can this be achieved by coding ?
If yes, i will request this feature from beemercode.

I goto children's school, and would like to be safer in the parking

Thank You

The pedestrian warning is an option in other countries that (I think, works up to about 19mph or so). I do not know if it also works in reverse. So, the parts exist but whether you could buy them or figure out how to make it work, I don't know. It isn't something coding can activate without the requisite hardware. At least, I think it requires extra hardware. I didn't find it listed on www.realoem.com, so maybe coding can do it, or I missed it.

Yes you will find it on Bimmercode / OB2 I did then put it off it annoyed me it does it when reverse is selected

The optional Vehicle Sound Generator is shown on realoem.com in the “Audio, Navigation, Electronic Systems” page. Here it is for my 2017 REx:
https://www.realm.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=1Z83-USA-10-2016-I01-BMW_i-i3_94Ah_Rex&diagId=65_2545

It appears to mount in the front right corner of the car:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/i01-i3-hat/components-connectors/plug-in-comb-type-solder-connectors/connectors-from-a/a340-1b-a340-1b/1VnXWlEduD

To add one you will need the ‘speaker’, the mounting bracket, and the mounting screws.

I think that I'd read the US Feds will (or have) started to require the sound generator. SO, it's likely that newer vehicles will get it in the USA. I haven't looked at the spec list on the newest i3s for awhile.

I just received my 2020 i3S and it has the pedestrian sound (Canadian market). Thought about disabling it but got used to it so it stays.

The NHTSA rule is a little confusing in its roll-out.

Sept 1 2019 was the 50% phase in date, and Sept 1 2020 will mark the 100% date. July 2019 was the date for EU compliance.

Apparently there is enough variation between the EU and US regs that the manufacturers were granted the 2020 extension so they could get their designs in order. The main I'm seeing is 19 km/h (EU) vs. 30 (18.6 MPH) (US). Both apply in either direction, as long as the vehicle is being propelled by something other than an internal combustion engine.

What's interesting is the petition to allow user selectable sounds. There's also a back-and-fourth with Honda discussing "trim level" / "series" Honda. I'd guess this came about due to their EV / Hybrid / ICE models sharing badges, but I bet this will open up as a branding opportunity (for example, Tera World trim might emit a "more premium" sound compared to a base i3).

In the press, there's been discussion that ICE vehicle can be as quiet as EVs at the slow speed range where AVAS is being required to generate noise. That brings even more questions!
- In the future, will this rule be adapted to include quiet ICE cars?
- Will ICE owners begin modding their cars with these systems as it becomes a status symbol for EV owners
- Are EV owners in large numbers going to disable these systems?
- Will third party noises become popular so an EV can sound like a throaty V8 or an ice cream truck?

Our 2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV had a standard pedestrian warning sound (ahead of its time? :eek: ) I felt that adding noise to our noisy environment was a step in the wrong direction even though I understand why some want a pedestrian warning system. I would have preferred for this warning sound to be controlled by the driver like a quiet horn that the driver could activate in situations where moving along slowly might endanger some people. Exiting down 2 floors in our parking garage with no one around and our pedestrian warning sound echoing off the garage's concrete walls, floors, and ceilings seemed excessive and unnecessary.

alohart said:
...I would have preferred for this warning sound to be controlled by the driver like a quiet horn that the driver could activate in situations where moving along slowly might endanger some people. Exiting down 2 floors in our parking garage with no one around and our pedestrian warning sound echoing off the garage's concrete walls, floors, and ceilings seemed excessive and unnecessary.

I wouldn't be so quick to assume that we can control decades of learned human behavior with the flick of a switch from the driver's seat.

If you think about how much we rely on our sense of hearing to navigate the world, you'll probably reconsider. Maybe the pedestrian you do see, walking down the parking ramp with his back to you, you would turn the warning on for. But the person you don't see, who steps out from between cars, maybe wrangling a kid or a shopping bag, is probably using audio cues just as much as vision to get a sense if it's clear to proceed. Same with the person who is walking behind a parked EV and looking / listening for the telltale signs of an ICE vehicle about to back out.

As a cyclist, I listen before changing lanes before looking to change lanes, because as a species we have a bad tendency of "steering where we look" and a lot of cyclists fall into this trap of looking over their shoulder to check for a clear lane and the bike subconsciously follow the glance -- it takes a concerted effort to continue in a straight path.

And, although a relatively small population of all of the pedestrians we encounter as drivers, the sight-impaired are especially reliant on their ears to pick up a nearby slow-moving vehicle.

The stats I've found from a 2011 NHTSA study are 37% increased risk of an EV vs. ped collision, 57% EV vs. cyclist, and a more recent European study by a group called Guide Dogs pegged it at 40%.

Hopefully as AI technology continues to advance, the spatial awareness systems installed in our cars can significantly reduce these figures, and maybe even control the operation of the AVAS. Until then, if our cars have to make a little noise, I can't find fault with that.

So in short, my i3 2017 USA model is not likely to have this hardware - correct ?

The sound which the Nissan leaf makes is quite pleasant, it is not disturbing, and gets the job done very well in my opinion

I've not heard the i3's pedestrian warning sound. I know on the upcoming iNext, they said they spent a lot of time designing sounds for the thing and it appears that you can choose between them.

A couple of years ago I asked my BMW I dealer if the e-drive warning sound could be retro-fitted to my 2016 i3 REX.

He said it couldn't be done...

Of course, if it becomes obligatory, I'd expect this to change!

In the meantime, I just take extra care when driving at low speed when people are nearby, but a few folk do get surprised at silent movement...

Chris

Probably the more pertinent question to can it be done would be is it economically feasible. Also note that the region's corporate offices decide what parts and accessories they allow the dealers to order. So, assuming you could identify all of those needed, you'd probably have to solicit the help of someone overseas to procure them.

The main office in Germany takes the VIN if the vehicle ever goes in for service and if it needs a s/w update, it would overwrite any coding changes you may have made, so there's that, too. As built, if it's not there, the new code applied wouldn't have it either.

If this became a federally mandated thing for retrofit, that's a different story, but they don't seem to make that happen.

Someone may come up with a kit if there was enough interest, but many people like it being quiet, so I'm not sure what volume there would be for a kit.

There are fairly easy ways to add a sound when in reverse, and since you generally don't go fast, tying it into the computers so it would be controlled or limited by your speed wouldn't be needed...

But, since turning the reverse lights on in the car is a CANBUS signal, and not a simple 12vdc line you could tap, even that would be a challenge. You could probably get by with a trailer interface and use its backup light signal to turn a warning on. Uncharted territory.

Maybe it's easy...plug in the module, add a speaker...just don't know. Probably take some coding, though.

Here's a quick DIY solution: Wireless doorbell in the frunk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QUqz9hLI4Q

Agreed it should be switchable...
There are two things
1) it depends on where you live and if you park in schools, transit stations etc
2) ICE has this custom, when starting the engine, it has built in audio warning sign. it cannot be turned off. Over the years , this warning has become a expectation, that a car with engine on , may reveres . A quite car is unlike to reverse...

Back