EVMan

Re: Press Release on new Bridgestones for the i3

Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:19 pm

I just checked my tiers

The rear passenger side tire ,, from inside is significantly more worn off , than others.
This is in-spite off, we have the car seat on the driver side and very rarely is anyone sitting on the passenger side.

the 2016 and 2017 have same tires and same max load. the 2017 car is little more heavier as such , due to larger battery.
2017 33KWH Rex
Model 3 Long Range
Solar ToU Plan

EVMan

Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:59 pm

Costco gives free rotations. Can the i3 have any kind of tire rotation ? I understand , no rotation is possible, as the tires are directional. Will costco be the cheapest based on this ?
2017 33KWH Rex
Model 3 Long Range
Solar ToU Plan

Neil

Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:33 pm

At around 50,000 miles the rear tires on my '14 Rex were more than ready for replacement. Unfortunately at the time, Costco could not get the fronts as well so I had them just do the rears. The new tires on the rear and the old tires on the front caused the DSC to kick in on curves where it had never done so before which prevented the car from accelerating which was dangerous and annoying. When I eventually replaced the fronts, this problem went away. I guess the size mismatch of worn front tires with new rear tires was enough to trigger the DSC under normal driving conditions. So if you experience this after changing only rears and maybe only fronts, or change tire sizes, this problem may present itself. I'm not sure if you can code for the different size tires so the DSC continues to work as it should. Maybe someone can comment on possible coding.

alohart

Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:36 pm

EVMan wrote:Costco gives free rotations. Can the i3 have any kind of tire rotation ? I understand , no rotation is possible, as the tires are directional. Will costco be the cheapest based on this ?
Only an i3 BEV with pizza slice wheels can have its tires rotated in the usual manner because its front and rear wheels and tires are the same. However, the tires of all other i3's could be rotated side to side which would help even out the faster passenger side rear tire wear that seems to be a common occurrence, at least in left hand drive i3's.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

EVMan

Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:54 am

alohart wrote: Only an i3 BEV with pizza slice wheels can have its tires rotated in the usual manner because its front and rear wheels and tires are the same. However, the tires of all other i3's could be rotated side to side which would help even out the faster passenger side rear tire wear that seems to be a common occurrence, at least in left hand drive i3's.
Thanks for this info. Since the tires have marked outer-side , and the treads are little not symmetric , but little directional , i thought they are not meant to rotated side to side and Costco will refuse to rotate.

I was thinking , If max life is 20K,
If the outer side cannot become inner side side, then only 1 rotation at 10K ( 1 rotation after original)

if in case, the outer side can become inner side ???
then they can be rotated every 5 K, so the they are in the original origination, after 15K ( 1 side to side swap and then direction rotation)

Thx for the knowledge
2017 33KWH Rex
Model 3 Long Range
Solar ToU Plan

alohart

Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:38 pm

EVMan wrote:Since the tires have marked outer-side , and the treads are little not symmetric , but little directional , i thought they are not meant to rotated side to side and Costco will refuse to rotate.
The tread is asymmetric, but the tires are not marked as directional, so apparently Bridgestone doesn't care which way the tread rotates. As installed on a new i3, the direction that the tread rotates differs between right and left tires, so it must not matter. So Costco should not refuse to rotate side to side.
EVMan wrote:I was thinking , If max life is 20K,
If the outer side cannot become inner side side, then only 1 rotation at 10K ( 1 rotation after original)
On our Honda Insight's Bridgestone low rolling resistance tires, I did a full rotation every 5k miles because both inner and outer edges of the front tires wore much faster than on the rear tires even though I inflated the front tires to the sidewall maximum pressure to try to accelerate wear on their center tread area. These tires wore out after ~40k miles.

I planned to rotate our i3's tires side to side every 5k miles also. I bought a tread depth gauge to measure the inner, center, and outer tread depth in line with the valve stems every 5k miles. At 5k miles, I didn't detect any tread depth difference between left and right side tires, so I decided not to rotate and to measure tread depth again at 10k miles. I am happy not to rotate because I prefer the rotational direction of our Giga World 19" wheels as they are now mounted, but apparently BMW doesn't care which way any of the i3's wheel rotate because BMW eliminated side-specific wheels at the end of the 2014 or early in the 2015 model run.
EVMan wrote:if in case, the outer side can become inner side ???
One sidewall is marked "Out", so Costco should refuse to mount the "Out" side on the inner side. So there's no need to unmount the tires from the wheels except to repair a flat tire or to replace a tire.

The inner and outer tread are quite different. Unfortunately, the inner tread wears faster due to the negative camber setting and is also more shallow when the tire is new.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

EVMan

Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:46 pm

Can i make a guess that approx 6K miles mileage tires will be acceptable , when i return my lease. Or does it need to be around 4-5K.
I know, they count, the lowest tread among all the tires, and the inside wears out quickly , so they fail the tires rather quickly.
I don't remember well, but I believe i read , they failed 7K miles for one individual..
2017 33KWH Rex
Model 3 Long Range
Solar ToU Plan

Return to “News and Main BMW i3 Forum Discussions”