Interior

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Didi

Hi, I heard the interior of the car is also made of sustainable materials. Anyone who can share the experience with the interior? Is it a reason to go for the BMW I3? Thanks!

IMO, it's a matter of taste. It's edgy and modern looking. I personally like the floating center screen.

In fact, I don't think there has been a single person that has sat in my i3 and said anything other than, to paraphrase, "this is so cool". Once I tell them about the real wood, carbon fiber etc. they are even more impressed.

Everyone that has sat in my i3 loved the interior and I used to give people a description about the Eucalyptus, and other material used and the energy efficient plant the i3 was built in. They have also commented how roomy the car is from the inside.
They absolutely love the HK audio system. :D

BMW spent a lot of time and money developing the i3 as as green a car as could be reasonably done at the time given the original design goals...efficient, green, agile.

WHere leather is used, it is tanned using olive leaves rather than more toxic methods. The carbon fiber is sourced where there's hydro power so it doesn't depend on gas or oil fired generators. The 'fiber' areas like the front part of the dash is made from a plant fiber. 95% of the car is capable of being recycled when its end of life is reached. Wool is used in some trim levels because it wears well, is natural, comfortable, and sustainable versus vinyl that is oil based.

The carbon fiber frame is both strong and light, leading to lighter suspension pieces, leading to less weight it has to carry to move the occupants. The roof is made up of leftover carbon fiber scraps from making the body. The paint is water based so there are no VOCs. LED lights are used almost everywhere because they not only last longer, but use less electricity, helping maximize range. The wheels are forged which makes them both stronger and lighter so they use less material and improve the ride and range.

A little search will show you a bunch of YouTube videos on how the i3 was designed and built.

I remember the first time we sat in an i3 back when they were launched, first thought was “we want one of these” and the feeling is still there, then again we like the exterior design also, basically the whole concept was/is ground breaking.

I love the interior of my i3, and it certainly played a role in my decision making. I like how it looks, and I appreciate the environmentally-friendly choices BMW made. To me this goes hand in hand with the quality and reliability of the vehicle. I've now had my car for five weeks, and it is a joy to own.

And today we have a loan BMW 520i with light leather interior, a big car with nice styling (although still a bit “generic repmobile”) and to be honest it drives nice, looks nice and luxurious inside......

It’s ‘orrible........we both feel like it is cramped and completely cocooning, far too much. It is a bit of a struggle to get inside as the A Pillar is very low and close, it’s a lot lower overall then the i3 making egress harder and Bastia;lay we cannotmwaitmtomtet the i3 back.

BTW it’s in for warranty work, had the EML pop up a few weeks ago when triggering the REX......so new injectors needed and a Sensor.

Unfortunately it’s also having a full set of tyres at the same time although the dealer is price matching the cheapest independent locally which is good, still almost £600 though :shock:

Little bit worrying as the REX is very seldom used (maintenance cycles and very occasional long run), and the vehicle is 2 years with 14K on the clock,.

Back