Water swishing sounds lots of it

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ginaoz

Bought 2016 cpo Rex 2 weeks ago. Took it in to dealer because of swooshing (water) sound. Bmw can hear it but does not know where it comes from/how to fix. 2nd day with gas guzzling loaner... any thoughts?

I thought I read about that on another post. If I remember, BMW knows about this, and on some cars, the fix is to drill a small hole in the frame to let the water drain. They should be able to find that info in a service bulletin. It doesn't happen to all of them.

I agree with Jim. At least i3 owner with water sloshing around in the CFRP channel below the doors associated the problem with a botched windshield replacement that resulted in a leak into the CFRP passenger cell.

While drilling a drain hole allows the water to drain out, fixing the problem that allows the water to enter seems worth doing. Maybe you can learn whether the windshield has been replaced in your i3. If so, have your BMW dealer examine the windshield closely to determine whether leaking might be occurring around the seal between the glass and CFRP passenger cell. Replacing an i3 windshield can be difficult for those without prior experience.

There is a fix that is detailed in this thread: http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4942

I had the same problem and CarMax sent to BMW to drill the holes to fix it. However BMW said that it wasn't due to the holes but because the car had an aftermarket windshield that was allowing water to come down. Drilling holes would help but the right approach would be to replace with an OEM windshield. Both were done and the sloshing sound is gone.

Thanks for all the help. Looks like the windshield was replaced and not a bmw windshield. I will take it to the dealer that I bought it 2 weeks ago and hopefully gets fixed quickly. My local dealer wanted 3700$ and because not an original part warranty void on their end. Hoping because it is cpo and on checklist it states windshield is bmw certified the will rectify.

Back