Ohio EV tax

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i3daytonoh

Ohio is in the process of passing a transportation bill that will raise the state fuel tax for road construction and also levy a new annual tax of $200 on EVs and $100 on hybrid vehicles. The bill has passed the state House and is now under consideration in the Senate. I have already emailed my Senator to complain about this exorbitant fee which will end up greatly reducing the purchases of environmentally friendly vehicles. If you are a EV or hybrid owner in Ohio, I recommend emailing your Senator to voice your opposition. You can find your Senator and then send an email here:

http://www.ohiosenate.gov/senators/district-map

So, I am curious, are you advocating that there should be no additional tax levied on Ohio drivers to fund new road construction? Or that only ICE car drivers should pay the average $200 per year in new road construction tax, and EV drivers should be exempt?

Please reread my original post, The $200 tax is only for EVs, not ICE vehicles. The state gas tax will increase by 10 cents per gallon over 2 years. If I owned an ICE vehicle that achieved 30mpg, my state gas tax would be a total of $26 a year for my current annual mileage. So $200 a year is rather outrageous. The annual EV tax will also greatly reduce the already minuscule EV sales in Ohio and reduce the resale value of my i3. I would prefer a mileage based fee that could be accessed at license plate renewal. By the way, I also buy many gallons of gasoline for my lawn tractor, snow blower and emergency generator that do not use the roadways. So I will have to pay the EV tax and the additional gasoline tax.

Hmmm, putting pencil to paper - you are 100%,

How in the heck are they "justifying" such a totally out-of-proportion punitive tax on EVs and Hybrids? :shock:

Sounds like their math is as bad as mine, and the actual "tax" on EVs and Hybrids should be $20 and $10, not $200 and $100.

Seems like a penalty to the EV owners. I read some of the stats for Ohio (2011 to 2016) had about 6,200 EV's on the road so it doesn't sound like a huge jackpot win for the tax man at the end of the day. Compared to California at 258,000 EV's (2011 to 2016).

Road and highway tolls can also be a good way to charge for usage. They have been used where we are for many years to cover building and maintenance costs.

They could also add a fee to the charging station infrastructure so that when you charge up, you pay a bit of tax towards the future upgrades.

I am all for user fees rather than blanket assessments!

FWIW, this sort of thing has been discussed in lots of state legislatures. A few are toying with eliminating the state sales tax on gasoline, but charging a fee per mile during registration each year, which, I think may be fairer. Unfortunately, while a gas guzzler today will pay more, and may also be a bigger wear factor (bigger gas guzzlers tend to be heavier, but not always), someone driving a Prius lots of miles may not pay their share properly based on the wear they create.

IMHO, if they're going to change things, it would take a restructuring of fees to include not only the miles driven, but a factor that includes the vehicle's propensity to create road wear. The easier one related to that is weight. So, a heavier vehicle, regardless of what powers it, would pay more, along with those that drive more. Some states already adjust the registration based on vehicle weight. My state relates the registration based on vehicle's appraised value.

i3daytonoh said:
Please reread my original post, The $200 tax is only for EVs, not ICE vehicles. The state gas tax will increase by 10 cents per gallon over 2 years. If I owned an ICE vehicle that achieved 30mpg, my state gas tax would be a total of $26 a year for my current annual mileage. So $200 a year is rather outrageous. The annual EV tax will also greatly reduce the already minuscule EV sales in Ohio and reduce the resale value of my i3. I would prefer a mileage based fee that could be accessed at license plate renewal. By the way, I also buy many gallons of gasoline for my lawn tractor, snow blower and emergency generator that do not use the roadways. So I will have to pay the EV tax and the additional gasoline tax.
What is your current mileage? 12000 miles/year on a 30MPG car will result in $155 in taxes after the phase in. I still agree that $200 is still stiff, especially for a short range EV like a 60AH BEV.

I am retired and, on average, drive 2000 miles a year. For an ICE vehicle: 2000 miles divided by 30 mpg = 66,6 times $.387 per gallon tax = $25.77 annual state tax

My state (Utah) is phasing in an EV use tax. $60/yr for BEVs, $36/yr for PHEVs, and $10/yr for "hybrids" (I would assume that means Prius?), this is only for the first year- the rates go up from there:

(h) in addition to the fee described in Subsection (1)(b):
1850 (i) for each electric motor vehicle:
1851 (A) $60 during calendar year 2019;
1852 (B) $90 during calendar year 2020; and
1853 (C) $120 beginning January 1, 2021, and thereafter;
1854 (ii) for each hybrid electric motor vehicle:
1855 (A) $10 during calendar year 2019;
1856 (B) $15 during calendar year 2020; and
1857 (C) $20 beginning January 1, 2021, and thereafter;
1858 (iii) for each plug-in hybrid electric motor vehicle:
1859 (A) $26 during calendar year 2019;
1860 (B) $39 during calendar year 2020; and
1861 (C) $52 beginning January 1, 2021, and thereafter; and
1862 (iv) for any motor vehicle not described in Subsections (1)(h)(i) through (iii) that is
1863 fueled by a source other than motor fuel, diesel fuel, natural gas, or propane:
1864 (A) $60 during calendar year 2019;
1865 (B) $90 during calendar year 2020; and
1866 (C) $120 beginning January 1, 2021, and thereafter.
https://le.utah.gov/~2018/bills/static/SB0136.html

I'm more than happy to pay my fair share, but, I don't like how it's just a flat fee. Supposedly the bill allows for a mileage based tax system
5211 72-1-213. Road usage charge study -- Recommendations.
5212 (1) (a) The department shall[: (1) continue to] study a road usage charge mileage-based
5213 revenue system, including a [potential] demonstration program, as an alternative to the motor
5214 and special tax[; and].

What's most confusing is where the i3 REx falls in this. For example, if the REx falls into the PHEV category, I will pay $26 in additional taxes this year, even though I put the vast majority (over 95%!) on electric power only, so this would make owning a REx model CHEAPER after the new taxes are phased in. The discrepancy would be even bigger in a place like Ohio previously mentioned, where a PHEV is only $100, while a BEV is $200! This all depends on how the tax commission decides what type of vehicle is what. I have a bad feeling that they're going to try to charge me the full amount, as my vehicle registration card only says "PH" in the fuel field.

A trend it seems;

http://www.ncsl.org/research/energy/new-fees-on-hybrid-and-electric-vehicles.aspx

i3daytonoh said:
I am retired and, on average, drive 2000 miles a year. For an ICE vehicle: 2000 miles divided by 30 mpg = 66,6 times $.387 per gallon tax = $25.77 annual state tax
Yep, that tax is unfair to you. A mileage and weight (or miles/kwh) taxation is cumbersome to implement.

MKH said:
A trend it seems;

http://www.ncsl.org/research/energy/new-fees-on-hybrid-and-electric-vehicles.aspx
Aren't some of these states offer EV purchase incentives? Having both makes little sense...

Wow that does seem high, Luckily I'm in a state where the EV use tax failed to pass.

As another poster said, It would seem to make sense to just tax charging infrastructure for now. Particularly fast chargers. And then come up with a plan to replace the fuel tax when BEVs and PHEVs make up a significant percentage of vehicles on the road.

But TBH I don't see the rush to pass this. In most states BEVs don't even make up 1% of vehicles registered.
I really don't understand the use tax for a non plugin Hybrid, that seems like punishment for just choosing a highly fuel efficient vehicle that cannot take advantage of charging infrastructure.

Paid chargers are already more expensive than charging at home (at least where I live). In fact, they are more expensive than a gas for REX.

Maybe they think you can afford the EV tax because they already gave you high ev federal and possibly state incentives?

I agree though, it seems outrageous!

gt1 said:
Paid chargers are already more expensive than charging at home (at least where I live). In fact, they are more expensive than a gas for REX.

I’ve noticed the same thing, how can charging rates exceed effective gas prices? Makes no sense.

Clinkinfo said:
gt1 said:

I’ve noticed the same thing, how can charging rates exceed effective gas prices? Makes no sense.
Well, it sort of does make sense, at least for now. The reason is the implementation rate of use in many places is very low and the cost to install a unit, especially if you consider a CCS unit, is quite high. EVSE units are fairly inexpensive, but if someone wants to fully recharge, they may sit on it for 3-4 hours or maybe more. That's possibly only a few turnovers a day. A CCS unit would have more turnover, but their cost is way more for not only the unit, but building the infrastructure to enable it. An EVSE is basically a smart switch. A CCS unit is a monster DC power supply...big difference in costs.

In a busy gas station, there may be a lineup waiting for an available pump, but it only takes maybe 10-minutes or less to finish each vehicle's transaction.

Back