I3 vs I3S: Suspension, driving comfort

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inspire02

Hi,
Can anyone compare the driving comfort of the new i3 to the i3s? I don't really know which one to choose for a leasing because I'd like to have some extra power at higher speeds but I don't want to loose driving comfort. Especially the suspension seems to be a bit rough/stiff/sporty in general in the i3 ... so how is the suspension of the i3s in comparison? Does driving feel different in terms of "smoothness"? Maybe someone can compare?

Thanks in advance!

We drove both the I3 and I3S, bought the S. If one thinks the I3 seems to ride hard then the S will probably be too harsh as the difference is noticeable.
We considered the I3 to be a bit mushy and like the improved handling of the S but it is harsher on rough roads. Also the short wheelbase accentuates rocking on uneven roads. The extra power is noticeable above 50 mph but the difference is not great enough to affect driving habits.

As above. Test drive an i3s if you can.

If you main concern is comfort, get a regular i3. The regular i3 is "fast enough". Driving an EV hard eats range.

We live in rural North Wales and the roads are not great. You do feel the bumps.

Handling is better in the S. In my opinion it is more engaging and more fun to drive at all times. It might not be as pleasant for the passengers though. I can make better use of momentum because I don't need to slow down for turns in the road.

The s looks better. That is even more the case with the 2019s. BMW added a silver decal to the regular version. I don't know what they were thinking. Only the S has an all-black roof.

Google will find photos

The Sport feels less flighty at highway speeds, which greatly increases my commuting comfort. In the city, it is a choppier ride over uneven pavement.

I own a December 2013 model and drove it with the original setup for approx 3 weeks after that I lowered the i3 using H&R springs.

The wheelbase of an i3 already is pretty short which makes it not the most thinkable confortable car. If you are putting stiffer and lowered spring on it it is simple > you will loose some of the little comfort the i3 owns..

My experience,
Lowering the i3 gives more or less the same result as to any car being lowered, you loose some comfort and get some more 'sporty' driving experience back as well the better looks.

The i3 lowered yes is a bit more bumpy but here in the NL not really noticable compared with the standard setup, in general we do have nice roads over here.
The big negative difference, big negative you will experience is speedbumps these you really need to take with lower speeds than with the standard setup.
Advantage of lowering the i3 from my experience;
-Less sentative for (side) wind
-More sporty ride, cornering goes better, faster (but thats my feeling, nothing measured)
-Better looks

Back