Interior Mood Lighting

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonb

Does anybody have experience with the interior mood lighting, i.e. blue when you unlock the car, then changes to white when you open the door.

I have read it doesnt happen on the standard interior, you have to upgrade.

Any thoughts/people with standard interior?

simonb said:
Does anybody have experience with the interior mood lighting, i.e. blue when you unlock the car, then changes to white when you open the door.

I have read it doesnt happen on the standard interior, you have to upgrade.

Any thoughts/people with standard interior?

This is correct, in addition the LED exterior door handle illumination is not part of the base interior. I can't comment about not having it as I went for Suite but I would not have upgraded the interior just to get the mood lighting.

Bill

Now there are more cars on the road can anyone clarify how the interior lighting works?

I understand it only comes with the upgraded interiors although BMW's literature is a little vague on this. Also can colours be changed.

I think there are two separate interior colours. The blue which comes on when you unlock the car cannot be changed. The light which then comes on when you open a door can be switched between orange or white.

Bill

Unlocking the vehicle turns on blue interior lights. After a few minutes or if you open a door, the interior ceiling lights switch to white. The interior ambient lighting (footwells, under the navigation screen, inside door handles, etc.) can be set to Classic (orange) or Modern (white) via the iDrive. Exterior door handle lights that illuminate the ground around the vehicle are white only.

I agree with stumbledotcom's post. My car is MegaWorld and it illuminates blue initially after unlocking the car or when plugging in the charger if the car has been idle (not sure how long it takes to trigger it - we have played with it). But it is quite fascinating to look at. Very lovely! ;)

stumbledotcom said:
Unlocking the vehicle turns on blue interior lights. After a few minutes or if you open a door, the interior ceiling lights switch to white. The interior ambient lighting (footwells, under the navigation screen, inside door handles, etc.) can be set to Classic (orange) or Modern (white) via the iDrive. Exterior door handle lights that illuminate the ground around the vehicle are white only.

Exactly what I have and I ordered the suit interior. The exterior door handle lights however were included in my comfort package I believe. Keyless entry?

BoMW said:
Exactly what I have and I ordered the suit interior. The exterior door handle lights however were included in my comfort package I believe. Keyless entry?
Comfort access means you essentially never need to take the fob out of your pocket or purse. If you have it, you will have the lights on the handles, and ridges in a spot on the handle you use to unlock it.

The brochure is simply abysmal when it comes to what the various packages actually do or contain. I might have gone for an upgraded interior to get the enhanced lighting- although I actually quite like the co-ordinated blue effect of the standard. Worse was that my I agent did not mention any of this to me when I compiled the spec for my order. A bit like the price list that indicates you get ACC as standard, where as you actually get a 'simple cruise' control :evil:

PluviaPlumbum said:
The brochure is simply abysmal when it comes to what the various packages actually do or contain. I might have gone for an upgraded interior to get the enhanced lighting- although I actually quite like the co-ordinated blue effect of the standard. Worse was that my I agent did not mention any of this to me when I compiled the spec for my order. A bit like the price list that indicates you get ACC as standard, where as you actually get a 'simple cruise' control :evil:

I agree that the brochure leaves many questions open. Same goes for the online configurator, I found. However, my agent was able to answer any question when I called or emailed him, which was good.

Steorley1979 said:
Are the LED's there on all UK models, but simply deactivated ? if so has anyone tried to get this working with coding ?
In the Mega (Loft) trim loaner I had it did not have the LEDs installed at all. In some locations there were not even any provisions to install them.

stumbledotcom said:

It would be great if you could set to iblue mode... that is the blue lights only unless you want more and then would turn them on...better yet dimmed white with the blue accent. ... given the designers love of blue and black you would have thought....

---
2014 i3BEV - love it more every time I drive it.

I have the mega standard interior the US and I have the blue lights when I unlock as well as illuminated door handles o the exterior.

i3MK said:
Steorley1979 said:
Are the LED's there on all UK models, but simply deactivated ? if so has anyone tried to get this working with coding ?

Bump

Don't know about the standard interior, but on my lodge interior and comfort access rex, I have the same blue interior lights which turn white on opening the doors here in the UK. I asked an "agent" before ordering and they were clueless I'm afraid and assured me that these lights were not available in the UK.

I really doubt if our Atelier (base) trim level i3 possess such a double choice regarding ambient light ( in other words, MODE MODERN & MODE CLASSIC ).

In iDrive menu I tried to find a specific / relevant entry but couldn't succeed.

PS: Our i3 lacks this "blue to white interior light change" specialty.

Is there anybody who can clarify / explain this ambiguous issue (?)

:?:

Back